Problem with Computer's Clock
Sep 9, 2005 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been trying to ignore this problem for awhile now, but it's getting incredibly irritating. My computer had a particularly nasty crash during a GTA San Andreas session a month or so ago, and since then my computer's clock becomes inaccurate far faster than it should. I used Windows XP's "Internet time" feature last night, and in less than 24 hours my clock's 20 minutes off the right time. Is there any way to fix this?

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I've been trying to ignore this problem for awhile now, but it's getting incredibly irritating. My computer had a particularly nasty crash during a GTA San Andreas session a month or so ago, and since then my computer's clock becomes inaccurate far faster than it should. I used Windows XP's "Internet time" feature last night, and in less than 24 hours my clock's 20 minutes off the right time. Is there any way to fix this?

Is the clock synced to time.windows.com?

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, this would be a hardware issue, not a software issue. I don't know much about computer hardware compared to others, however, I would hazard the guess that it's the motherboard's fault, and I would sooner get a new computer than replace the motherboard for time issues.

I would suggest looking around the Internet for some program that lets you synch time with an Internet source at a rate of your choosing (for you, maybe once every hour would work?) since Windows XP's 1/week Internet synch really doesn't work well when you're 20 minutes off per day.

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 8
do motherboards still have batteries on there? I know back in the days they used to and would keep up the clock and when it would run out, the time would go all crazy.
that could be old school though - am not on the forefront of computer technology.

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 8
sounds like the battery on the motherboard is dead as other people have said.

Yes they still use lithium buttoncells

Sep 9, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Argh, I guess I'll try a new battery soon. I'm a bit skeptical about that being the problem, but I'll give it a shot. The motherboard's only 2 years old, and I've had computers last for 5+ years without this problem...

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 8
This is very odd... my computer decided to fix itself. It's been 2 or 3 days since I last updated the time, and it's still correct. I didn't even restart the computer. I'll never understand why computers do the things they do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back