Problem with Chaintech AV-710...
Jun 13, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #31 of 33
I've noticed this. However, I'm sure that once the Emu is set up correctly, it will be just fine. I'm having some issues with the Chaintech. Anytime I restart, if I go to play something in foobar, I get no sound. I then have to change my playback settings, save them, close foobar, restart foobar, and then I'll have my sound back. It's strange, and very bothersome.

Jun 13, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #32 of 33
Kernel streaming support is still experimental in Foobar2k, this could be causing some of your problems (and other people's too).

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
ASIO actually demands "24bit padded to 32" output format and no resampling at all whatsoever when used with any Envy24-series-based soundcard, nothing else at all will work (in fact, ASIO output resampled to 96kHz will stutter badly on most systems equipped with Envy24-series-based soundcards). If you want to intentionally upsample to 96kHz with an Envy24-based soundcard, use Kernel Streaming instead. (I've tried ASIO with "24bit padded to 32" output format and 96kHz sampling, only to have the sound stutter badly on my system.)

As for the "unsupported sampling rate" error message from ASIO, it's not the resampling that's to blame; it's the originally recorded sampling rate in your original music files that is to balme. As I said earlier, your original music files might have been recorded with a sampling rate that's lower than 32kHz (e.g. your WAV and MP3 files were originally recorded using a sampling rate of only 22.05kHz), which the ENTIRE Envy24 series of DSPs don't natively support in hardware.

I stand corrected here. It turned out that the ASIO/96kHz resampling combination didn't like my old AMD/nForce2 setup. (Or could it be that the SSE portion of the ASIO driver for foobar2000 is borked?
confused.gif
) In fact, I was never able to get stutter-free sound from my Revo/AMD/nForce2 combo in ASIO mode at sampling rates higher than 48kHz. Further testing with the same Revo card and drivers on my new Intel Pentium 4-based setup (which played back the ASIO output resampled to 96kHz flawlessly) confirmed my suspicions.

Now I can see how acidtripwow said "AMD sucks". (Or more specifically, the available motherboards for AMD processors suck in one way or another.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back