Problem with ATH-M50: Self-Repair/send to Audio Technica and get portable amp, or Upgrade?
Nov 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

thelamppost

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!  Its been a while.

I've run into a problem with my ATH-M50's:  One of the earcups is vibrating in response to low bass.  Also, the cord is loose by the 35mm jack.  I'm not sure how to remove the large metal covering by the jack, so I'm not sure how to repair that, also, I've been told the problem with the earcup vibration being most likely a loose cone, though I'm not sure how to fix that either.

My question is: should I repair it by either replacing the cord or fixing the jack and speaker/cone, or should I send it in to Audio Technica and have them do it for me in fear that I'll further damage them?  I do NOT have a warranty on these headphones, so I'm not sure how much this will cost me and they've told me they can not know until they see the headphones.  After either option, I plan on getting a pocket altoid cmoy amp, as I've been told that's the best for the money (under 100 dollars at least)

If I shouldn't bother with either of these options, should I upgrade/buy a replacement set?  What are some recommendations?
Not sure if any headphones have dropped in price or come out that are in the same price range as the ATH-M50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back