Problem With Antique Sound Labs OTL??
Jan 5, 2002 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yeast

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my ASL MG OTL Headphone amp and One channel seems to be gone. I reversed the tubes and they are good. Has any one else had this problem? How is the reliability long term?

Thanks
frown.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 11
First make sure your source, cables, and headphones do not have problems... otherwise I'd return it for a repair. The Chineese made MG Heads are known for some QA problems but you should be able to get it fixed. If you feel like DIYing and voiding some warranties, open it up and see if something obvious is not soldered in...

Jan 5, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Is the bad channel bad in BOTH headphone jacks? With the Feedback switch up and down?

The only thing left you can do is change the VB1, 12AX7.

Other than that, return it for refund, or repair.

Mine came with a screw on the bottom cover almost out, the one
near the OTL jack. I am afraid to screw it all the way in!
rolleyes.gif

Mine also came without a tube cage. I think the last few OTL's of 2001 were just thrown together bits and pieces. But mine works, so far.

Jan 5, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Its definitely defective and limited to one channel in every mode even with tubes switched. Its just so frustrating having waited a week and a half for this thing from the dealer.EVEN AFTER I ASKED THE STORE TO OPEN AND TEST IT OUT BEFORE THEY SHIPPED!!! I am hard pressed to think that this was actually done since the amp was never unwrapped. I am not going to pay for return shipping either! Thanks for all your help group! Mr. Lau.....I have had 2 of your products returned for repair shortly after purchase, I love the price and sound, but the inconvenience is a problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm sorry about this matter. All units had been test and burn in for 24 Hours before and sure had test all funtion. It may be some time cause by cold solder. I'm sure the component had no problem. All material is order direct from manufacturer like Nichicon , Nippon Chemicon , MIT , JJ .... All tube had been tested when arrived factory. Most tube also burn in for 8 Hours before test (Except Direct Heat tube, It filament become easy broeken after burn in e.g 211 , 845 ,300B). We only test it !
I had try to improve the quality control and keep the workers stable. Most of the wokers had been work for 2 years or more and good experience. We use Solder import from Hong Kong large solder supplier co. (Alpha metal). We will 63% Zinc and 37% Lead. It is the best solder in inductrial . (Excep silver solder , It is too expensive and not possible to use it soon.)

I like to listen more comment on our products and any idea to improve its is welcome. Bye ! I will be in Las Vegas T.H.E show in Tuscany Hotel. May be can meet someone.

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I suggest you get rid of the notched volume control. At least I would prefer a smooth one. It seems the best volume setting is between the click stops. Ant upgrades available?

lextek
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 11
Will do it ! It take time to order suitable Pots from Japan. It is very headache on order material. Alway need to waiting 8 weeks , 12 Weeks or more time. e.g MIT 8 Weeks , Infinite 8 Weeks , Nichicon 10 Weeks , Nippon chemion 12 weeks ... The quickest is the tube supplier : )

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I suggest you get rid of the notched volume control. At least I would prefer a smooth one. It seems the best volume setting is between the click stops

I second that emotion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back