Problem with a new cable
Jan 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SonicScientist

New Head-Fier
I hope this is the right place to ask, this forum isn't exactly fluid on a tablet. Anyway, I recabled Grado sr80 a while back with Canare star quad and a straight 3.5mm Amphenol plug. I'll fetch the model numbers later if they're of importance, but they're the usual stuff recommended even here. The problem is that if I wiggle the plug or the cable near it the sound either disappears from one channel or it loses both ends and becomes distant. But this only happens with my pc. I have an extension cord of the same cable terminated with Neutrik plugs and a short one from Jays headphones and they have the same problem, but only from the pc.

The sound is fine from my Nexus 7 tablet with and without the ext. cables. For some reason the jack won't fit my Nexus 4 phone. 2 other headphones with stock cables work well with all the configurations. Grados too worked well with stock cable, but I've changed sound cards since then. The current one is Xonar DG by the way.

I don't know too much of this, but it feels like some kind of weird grounding problem. Anyone got any idea? I should probably solder in a new jack, but at the moment I don't have means to close the housings if I opened them for figuring out the channels.

E; looks like there was a diy forum after all. Oh well.
Copy pasted this there into an appropriate thread. Admins may do whatever they wish to this one.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like a grounding problem to me.  My guess is the solder is either weak or simply not adequate to hold the ground wire to the jack.  How the ground connection from the jack on various other female jacks, on your other devices, explains why it appears to function at times and not at others.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Yep, looks like the the end that you pinch around the cable to hold it tight and also works as the ground has snapped on my diy-extension. Incidentally a female jack was the only part for which I didn't get a spare. Solder seems to keep it in order for now, but I doubt it will hold long-term. Should've opened them in the first place. Gonna look into other sources and stuff, but it might be that i managed to mess up soldering jobs on the other jacks as well. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back