Problem sorta with my Ultrasone 750 Cord
Feb 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a pair of these, they are great and everything, but I do not have the adapter piece to actually use it on speakers or my fuze with the stock cord

however, i have a standard mini to mini cable that fits it, but when i play it through my pc the sound is very distant and heavily lacking. I am not sure if this is because the other cord i am using is crap, or its not fully plugged in, or something. I dont have anything to test it through with the bigger fat stock cable, no amps right now to test with and its the wrong size for speakers and ipods obviously.

Any idea if the stock cord plays an integral role in the quality for these headphones? This little 3.5 to 3.5 seems to fit it, but the sound coming off it gross.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 18
And you're sure the cable is seated properly in the headphones?
Have you tried this cable from another source?

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 18
Your mini-to-mini is not going all the way into the headphone, you probably have to shave at the plastic. If you don't have the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter or don't want to use it, just be careful not to bend your mini-to-mini at your headphone end because it doesn't have the screw-in mechanism protecting it from bending.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 18
the mini going into the headphone has lots of clearance. There is actually space in between the head and the walls of the in port. Ive multiple cables that ive tested from multiple sources.
ugh

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 18
Is it as firmly in place as when you plug the same connector into an mp3 player? Only time I noticed the problem is if it wasn't inserted all the way in. But if your normal ultrasone cable works and assuming your other cables all go all the way in I don't know what's wrong.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 18
Yeah, it should come with the adapter. Otherwise run to a BestBuy or RadioShack and pick up the adapter for like 2 or 3 dollars. Ultrasone does also sell cables with native 1/8th inch ends on both ends for ipods and such. That's kinda weird that, given what you said about the clearance, the sound is so much different.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 18
Didnt come with an adapter actually, im not saying they SUCK or anything here so dont get me wrong. This sound is just a shock to me, there is almost no bass on these at all compared to some other sets i own, and the highs are piercing...earbleeding even. I was worried that something was wrong and that the in port wasnt busted because it sounded so weird to me.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 18
So just to make it clear, the original ultrasone cable sounds perfectly fine?

Also, was it purchased new and without an adapter? If so tell ultrasone and they will send you one.

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 18
I had a similar experience and it was all because the mini plug wasn't all the way in the headphones. It looked like it was but it wasn't. I think it would be best for you to buy that adapter because in my opinion you really need the cord securely screwed in the headphones. Also if lacking bass, make sure the pads are properly in place. Even if just one of the clips isn't tightly secured there is a huge bass loss.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 18
Well i just got the adapter from radio shack and made sure the pads were in place tightly. The sound improved, but its going to take some getting used to. Actually, i think it was the pads that was the biggest problem, they didnt look locked in prior to me checking. But the sound is still odd to me and weird...itll take some getting used to

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 18
Also check out the Kees mod for the PRO 900, as they should also help out the 750 too.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 18
swbf2cheater, just how much did the sound improve, does it sound like crap, does it sound like 2, 20, or 200 dollar headphones? There is a world of difference when contacts are shorting out vs. when the contacts are all aligned. I wish I could have a listen at your phones to see if that's the problem or maybe if the prior owner did something to them, the way you describe it makes it sound like it is serious.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 18
My mini review

It was clearly the cable i was using and nothing wrong with the phones. I heard the click and assumed it was fully in, i was wrong. With the new adapter and stock cord, it sounds fantastic. It went from no bass to awesome.

It makes absolutely no sense to call these non-music listening headphones if they have S-logic in them. What the hell do you need echo and reverb S logic in monitors for? Again, I look at my HD 485 and prefer them to every single set i own. I've come to the conclusion that the 485 > 600 > 650 > 595 > 555 And the pro 750s are right before the hd600s.

The following is a list of the best headphones i own in order from my sig. Note that i do not consider the expensive sets at the top, they fail in a lot of areas except one or two, for that reason they do not deserve praise as the best i own. Well rounded powerhouses get the top spots.

Senn Hd 485 - They are the best headphones ever made, period. Prove me wrong.
( they sound just like the 595s except for the soundstage, 595s arent far off from the 600s)
Insignia stock HD radio earbuds
(you all have no clue what you are missing with these, they smash EVERY SINGLE PAIR OF HEADPHONES I OWN, INCLUDING THE SENNHEISER FULL SIZED...im not kidding. They are worth no more than 10$ and smash everything ive ever owned. Lacking mids, nothing else)
HD 600 - Still the most well rounded senns but expensive, sorry, its better than the pro 750 ultrasones
(but not by that much )
Ultrasone Pro 750 - despite the harsh highs and echo, its very nice
Shure 750DJ - Incredibly well rounded, more so than the D1k with more bass
Senn HD 650 - They are amazing in classical, nothing else.
Shure 840 - Awesome, but not at all well rounded, 750dj is the better ball player, the 840 is a power hitter and nothing else
D1k - almost as good as the 750DJs but lacking powerful awesome bass
ATH-es7 - epic win but so damned uncomfy i want to cry my eyes out
Shure 440 - n/a
ATHPROms5 - Awesome camos, not bad at all, lacking everything really but still nice.
Monster Beats/Turbines - They are fail for the price, but still sound pretty good
Sennheiser HD 595 - they are the worst set for music that i own. They are awesome for gaming and soundstage needs, nothing more since the cheaper 485 sounds identical to it.

that is all

*puts helmet on for pre-bash attack from users here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back