Problem: No music coming from my itunes through my DAC...
Feb 22, 2011 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone advise please::

Plugging in my Yulong D100 for the first time - I can hear the typical Windows sounds - when I played music from itunes - there was NO music coming at all. Windows Media player worked but not Itunes....

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to alter some setting or do I need different software like foobar??

H

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 14
Exit iTunes, just keep trying, unplugging etc. Mine does it sometimes with my E7. It says "detected a problem with audio playback". Basically, don't unplug/plug when iTunes is open.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 14
By unplugging - do you mean exiting itunes or unplugging the DAC from the computer...surely this is a software issue - i was thinking it was that windows would not let me playback itunes files...

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Ok - I will try that. I hope that is not the problem though. I would have thought that these issues would not happen. I saw within the control panel under SOUND - that audio playback only offered wave files and CD files - and since itunes are flac files - there was an issue with playing back these files...

if windows will only allow the yulong d100 to playback wave files and cd audio - then I think the software is the issue...

H

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 14
Got it working - but now there is crackling noise coming from when I playback at 24bit / 96 KHZ...my alac files are at 16bit/44.1 KHZ...do I have settings wrong??

H

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 14
I got it to work by going into QuickTime and having to select an audio device there...but then I selected playback options (ie .16 bit/96khz)...

music played back well enough for five minutes and then started to go bad...

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 14
In the end - it was my motherboard that didn't handle USB audio very well - it wasn't an itunes issue at all. The chipset on my motherboard is not suited well for USB audio. In the end I had to use optical connections to enjoy music with normal playback.

BTW  - you wrote to me in a private message - but can you please tell me Camomille - what is a DAC cable? I have never heard of such a thing. Also please explain to me what is your sound issue and what tweaking you did with quicktime? Oh and - what is your audio setup so we on this thread can understand how to solve your issue.... 

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 14
I thought your DAC thing was a DAC cable, but it seems like not only cables can be DAC... Here is what I have:

http://www.headphonia.com/Accessory/USB-DAC-Cable-with-35mm-Mini-Plug-75cm-30::10134.html?XTCsid=2122881ef0898c9be4b8108c697a509e

I also have a little portable amp, the Arrow amp from the same brand. By pluging the DAC cable in a USB port, the sound bypasses the sound card (and speakers) and goes to my amp, which is plugged to my headphones. And it works, I can listen to music through it with Windows Media Player etc... only iTunes won't work. The sounds still goes through my speakers, nothing goes in the DAC cable. I don't get why, I guess it's a software issue but I can't solve it.
I tried the Quicktime manipulation you advocated:

I got it to work by going into QuickTime and having to select an audio device there...but then I selected playback options (ie .16 bit/96khz)...
music played back well enough for five minutes and then started to go bad...

Didn't work at all!

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 14
If you are getting sound from your Windows Media Player - then the hardware is working and you are hearing sound from your USB port.

As you may know - itunes uses a different kind of audio format - please check your formats to make sure you are playing audio tracks using itunes formats.

I would also suggest you need to go to the quicktime menu and select the audio playback device and in that menu - select the device you want quicktime (itunes) to use - and also select the bit rate/sample rate etc......

Don't alter the latency settings at the moment.

Try these and get back to me.. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey Syan! I managed! What I had forgotten to do is, in quicktime, select "headphones" in the output device (which is actually in the windows panel...). Now the music comes out through my cans! Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back