Problem about burn in
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #16 of 23
cheers jaddie,

indeed there are lot of posts and subjective opinions that silver (I assume ofc as well) sounds better after 100+ hours. I do not keep the links and posts (so I don't have any proof you would say), just mentioned here what I noticed and my personal experience. Not sure if it's magic or something else (some chemical or physical process), but it does work somehow.
How do I confirm that, well nothing in the system was changed before and after a burn in time (~150h) and the difference was quite obvious. This was tested on headphone's cable, different interconnects and speaker cables by me. Btw, when I swapped the cable on my rather inexpensive Denons (D1001) I was surprised how weird the sound became to be, then left them playing for 24-7 in the office and gave them another test and vualaaa, the whole picture has changed dramatically.
Anyway as already has been mentioned, there are no measurements here as well as no physical evidence, just subjective opinions :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
cheers jaddie,

....Not sure if it's magic or something else (some chemical or physical process), but it does work somehow.

It would be fair to include psychological suggestion and influence, as well as human perception adaptability in the mechanism of "how it works".  Unless you can do a DBT on just the cable vs a non-burned-in one, we actually have no evidence here, just biased opinion. 

However, one thing I've said before which bears repeating: If you do something that you think improves your experience, it doesn't matter that it's not measurable or real, it matters that it improves your experience.  That's the reason there are prescription placebos.  They work, and are a completely valid medication.  Just do it, and enjoy the results.  I may not join you, but I get my audio nirvana through other means.  

Apart from the lack of evidence of its effectiveness, when in comes to cable burn in, there's no potential for damage from the process, so have at it, go nuts.  I wouldn't say the same for electromechanical devices though.  Burn-in may come very close to burn-out. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 23
Yup, just anecdotes. Like with many other things that are considered nonsense.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #19 of 23
sure, just shared some thoughts regarding the topic. As to me, best way would be to buy/ get/ assemble the cable, let it run for a week or so and forget it since, just listen to the music :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Yup, just anecdotes. Like with many other things that are considered nonsense.

C'mon, everyone likes a good anecdote, right?

"A horse walks into a bar...."

"I burned in my cable for three weeks, had a six-pack, and it sounded great!  So did the cable!"

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
C'mon, everyone likes a good anecdote, right?

"A horse walks into a bar...."

"I burned in my cable for three weeks, had a six-pack, and it sounded great!  So did the cable!"

Really? is there any physics involved in it, we know that earphone burn-in make sense because it makes the vibration more vivid and to the point what it should be. Or just like someone else said in the post, it is only subjectively? 

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 23
No, not really. There's no physics or science if any kind involved in cable burn in. Lots of opinions, and zero evidence or data. No audible change...unless you have that six-pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back