Probably a stupid question
May 17, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 6
If I were to buy the Cambridge Audio DacMagic200m I wouldn't need a separate amp as long as I just plug headphones into the dac, right? I intend on using a cd player and my computer into it
Assuming you're not trying to drive a low sensitivity planar like the Abyss 1266 or Susvara you should be fine straight out of the HP jack.
Whether or not it will have good synergy with your headphones or not is another question entirely.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 6
If I were to buy the Cambridge Audio DacMagic200m I wouldn't need a separate amp as long as I just plug headphones into the dac, right? I intend on using a cd player and my computer into it

Depends.

If you use a 32ohm Grado with 99dB/1mW sensitivity, most likely not. Until you hear that Grado on a Perreux or Heed amp, maybe (and then you see the price tag on the Perreux).

If you use a a 62ohm, 93dB/1mW AKG or a 300ohm, 96dB/1mW Sennheiser, then most likely you might end up wanting to try an amp.

If you use a 35ohm, 86dB/1mW HiFiMan, you will very likely want to try an amp.\

Basically, think of a BMW 518 cab in Munich. Can that 4cyl get you in that chassis around Munich well enough? Yes. But there's a reason why the 540i and M5 exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back