Probably a new EQ approach in improving sound of HD800 and perhaps Alpha Prime...
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

choccoyote01

New Head-Fier
It's my first post. Lets just start with HD800 and Alpha Prime... 
atsmile.gif

So it had been a long way, I ended up with my current humble setup:
- Lossless up to 192/24
- JRiver Media Center
- CEntrance HiFi-M8
- HD800

I'm aware of many approaches in improving the sound of HD800 for general music appreciation. Due to financial constraints I decided to start with EQ-ing.

So it came to this after many long nights, I discovered that the 'real' problem is not the 6kHz nor 7kHz nor 8kHz nor 9kHz treble spike (or all together if u like), nor is the dip from 1.5kHz to 4kHz which is probably crucial in the targeted diffuse field response curve, nor is the lack of sub bass or bass in overall, at least to my ears. I've tried MANY combinations on a parametric graphic EQ, together with the treble and bass EQ on my CEntrance HiFi-M8 (and yes I'm aware of clippings and negative impact on sound quality after EQ-ing and tried my best to avoid or keep them at minimum). All of these EQ-ing more or less reduces the soundstage and perceived resolution, especially when my approaches are more towards the shelving-down-before-boost.

Then I came to a point where initially I found that the high treble of the HD800 is rolled-off which is weird, but later felt like something was missing or not right on the high treble section. So I compared the FR curve of the HD600 to the HD800 (source: InnerFidelity) and noticed that the HD600 FR curve of 10kHz above is very even without a significant dip which is present on the HD800 at approx 12kHz. So I did a high Q boost of that frequency and poof. The sibilance or ear ringing or whatever doesn't matter anymore. The overall sound is GREATLY improved, and quite perfect as a bright sounding can (at the moment 
tongue_smile.gif
). The treble became smooth and balance. Music came ALIVE. with more presence on the previously muffled cymbals. Soundstage is improved as well. Improvements on almost all genre of music.

Thinking back the last time I put that much effort in EQ-ing is on my Alpha Primes, so I went to check the FR curve, it has a very identical curve to the HD800, with a dip on 12kHz as well. Both the Alpha Primes and HD800 are very good sounding headphones imo, close to end-game. Too bad I returned the Alpha Prime before I discover this. Maybe it could perfect the Alpha Prime?

My current cheapest solution in achieving a better sounding HD800:
- EQ +5dB gain with Q=5 on 12.5kHz and high-shelf -1dB gain with Q=1 on 7kHz
- Bass boost on CEntrance HiFi-M8 with 1Ohm output and low gain

Please do try this out and tell me if it works the same for you, or perhaps provide some advice on my current EQ.

P.S. Great thanks to Tyll @ InnerFidelity for the accurate measurements and insightful informations which most of the time I find them come in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back