ProAc Tablette gets a ribbon tweeter
Dec 12, 2023 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

bagwell359

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have the 2nd version made in the mid 80's. The 4.5" midwoof (Seas H143) and the 3/4" tweet (Scan Speak D2008/8512) were classics of the time. Both no longer made. One of the tweets blew. No used ones found. The Hiquphon OW1 Tweeters which are the current (better) drop-ins are $339 matched pair. For a pair of speakers (black ash) worth $400-450 in working order... no.

I faux painted them years ago, and also rebuilt the xover about 10 years ago with Mills resistors and Clarity, Mundorf, and Solen caps, so dumping them also not happening. I've had a ribbon tweeter fetish since the 80's - and happened to have a pair of Fountek Neo 3.0's waiting to be used again. Too big to fit in the cabinets - esp with the extra sized xover. Had to put an L-pad on the tweet to cut the output about 3.3 db to match the midwoofs. So I put the xover and ribbon external for more volume inside the box for deeper bass. Used zombie tweets packed with anti-resonant goop and no magnet to keep it closed up. Will have to add a cabinet extender on both sides and maybe the top - with the same faux finish to satisfy the wife. But not anytime soon...

The xover is nominal ~4k with an 18 db slope. This makes the tweets very happy (along with my ears) since the Founteks have a rise around 1.2-1.5k with nasty odd order harmonics too. The last speaker I used them in - Triangle Celius 202 had a xover at about 2.8k. Ribbons - except for mega buck Raal's usually should be used as super tweeters. Really no good in most 2 ways unless the woof is small and crossed high - or its mammoth like the Apogee speakers (bass is actually a magnetic planar, but the tweets are real ribbons - also the Magnepans such as 3.7i, 20, and 30 have real ribbons too.

Not great looking at the moment, but they are well better than the stock tweets which is really something since those were very fine tweets.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    649.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    950.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg