pro900 bass over powering?
Sep 26, 2009 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

oldson

1000+ Head-Fier
have read a bit on these cans. bit of a mixed bag!
i am after a set of closed cans and had been looking at denon d7000 and athw5000. cant trial any locally.
the price of these 3 cans is a tad off putting. espscially as i fancy a new dac too.
the pro900 would offer me a good saving over the other two.
but i dont want over-powering bass.
dont get me wrong, i do like a healthy amount!

interested in your comments, espescially if you use them with a GS solo or other SS amp.
cheers

btw plenty of detail and none recessed mids preferred
smile.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 16
someone must have tried these cans with the Solo!?

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 16
Pro series are studio headphones. Like the machinery that forms shaped blocks (music) that fit into shaped holes (typical consumer gear). If you don't want to hear flaws (machinery's friction with blocks of wood as it shapes them) then go for the HFI series or maybe Edition
tongue.gif
. And I don't consider the bass on stock pro 900 to be broken, it is very useful for its purpose.

I forgot to link a photo to show what I mean
tongue.gif
. And I'm not saying they aren't good for pleasure listening, it's just if you don't want to hear flaws you should not get pro series. Only exceptions are if you 1. KeeS mod the pro 900 or 2. aren't afraid to go crazy finding the right synergy and have well-mastered music or 3. enjoy unforgiving and neutral sound.

baby_first_blocks_7134.jpg

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 16
I recently bought a pair of pro 900's. Everything was going fine until I noticed that that the bass was uneven, as in, it was stronger and better defined on the right side compared to the left.
I'm assuming this is NOT normal. I'm using a portable cd player with my pro 900's...could this be whats causing the uneven bass or should I return these can's for new one's?

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 16
I've heard one other person complain about one channel being louder than the other and it was because of a defective unit, you have to try the headphones out of another cd player/mp3 player or computer headphone output or whatever to make sure before asking Ultrasone for a replacement.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the input.

The ebay seller I got my pro 900's from has a 7 day return policy. I'm not sure If I'm going to ask for a replacement. Right now I'm leaning towards just getting my money back and purchasing directly from ultrasone.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 16
Will you receive shipping fees refund both ways if you give it back to the seller? Just FIY, if you got the headphones from an authorized distributor it comes with a warranty against manufacturer defects. That means you can demand a replacement from Ultrasone if you can ascertain that one driver is really malfunctioning. If the headphones really are damaged it's kind of silly to send it back to the seller who would then have to send it back to Ultrasone, unless the seller promises to pay shipping both ways and Ultrasone will not.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 16
# Open your item carefully and retain all packaging and documentation.
# All our products are new and are shipped to you in the same pristine condition we receive it from the factory or distributor.
# There should not be any problems if handled correctly and / or installed properly.
# On the rare occasion a product seems defective we always recommend contacting the respective manufacturer first for tech support as most items can be brought to proper working condition with the correct technical information.
# If at that point the item is deemed defective please e-mail within 7-10 days to nate770@optonline.net
# Document the problem, the respective technical support reply, your E-bay ID and we will issue an RMA # (Return Merchandise Number) for an EXCHANGE of the same item.
# Beyond this time frame please contact the respective manufacturer's technical support.
# It is the buyer's responsibility to return the item to us; we will cover the cost to send a replacement.
#

If a refund is agreed to a shipping & handling cost will be deducted from the refund.

That's the return policy.

I don't know if they are authorized to sell ultrasone products. I'm certain the product is defective though. I used 2 different receivers, cd player, computer, and i pod and they all yielded the same result. More bass on the right compared to the left.

Reading the return policy I'm assuming I just send them back and they send one that (hopefully) works. I should have just ordered them from ultrasone but at 400 dollars I couldn't resist.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 16
Ask them if they are an authorized dealer and if so CONTACT ULTRASONE and see if they will cover shipping the defective headphones to them, if they will then that is a better option than sending it back to the seller. But even if Ultrasone won't cover it, you can give the ebay seller less trouble because he'd have to send the defective headphones to Ultrasone himself.

If you feel especially mean you can try to ask the ebay seller to pay for shipping the defective item back to them, I'm not sure how much luck you'd have with this though and it'll probably really piss off the ebay seller
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 16
Becuase this is the Ultrasone Forum, I'm going to jump in here.

Because this sale was through ebay, then it is not an authorized sale. Therefore, the warranty is nullified.
The sale of Ultrasone products through ebay is not authorized by Ultrasone. However, we can still take a look at the unit for you.

I am going to assume that you are listening to high quality recordings and not anything compresed. The reason is, the PRO 900 is known for being very revealing to recordings that have been improperly mixed/mastered.

In any event, if you have any questions, please contact us at infoteam@ultrasone.com

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 16
On the 3Move Amp / iPhone etc.
The bass was kinda overwhelming but VERY enjoyable in the first 50 hours.

Over time it has taking a backseat to the rest of the frequency, but really depends on your music and how it was recorded... It'll mellow out and more treble/vocals shine through... give it about 100 hours.. and it'll improve well over 400 hours as well of normal usage not that loud volume etc.

I did tried against the Koss PortaPros which i thought had pretty nice bass (boomy and all) :p compared to my old Pro 750... but man the Pro 900 is better in every single aspect.

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 16
I am really late into this thread but I do have the Graham Slee Solo. It´s a great match for pretty much all my headphones including the Pro 900. It´s a musical amp so good if you don´t want things to "dry and neutral".

So I can recommend it since it works so well with so many different headphones. K701, HD 650/Pro 900 etc.

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have read a bit on these cans. bit of a mixed bag!
i am after a set of closed cans and had been looking at denon d7000 and athw5000. cant trial any locally.
the price of these 3 cans is a tad off putting. espscially as i fancy a new dac too.
the pro900 would offer me a good saving over the other two.
but i dont want over-powering bass.
dont get me wrong, i do like a healthy amount!

interested in your comments, espescially if you use them with a GS solo or other SS amp.
cheers

btw plenty of detail and none recessed mids preferred
smile.gif

I have just bought some Pro 900s and run them in a bit. I have the D7000s also and the ATH W5000s. I also have the Edition 9s with ALO modifications including Jenalabs 18AWG cable fitted. The Pro 900s have less bass than the latter (which is good), much more than the W5000s (which is also good) and perhaps a bit less bass than the D7000s (which sometimes is also good). So, I do not think that the Pro 900s are too bassy. But I have ordered a Moon Audio Silver Dragon detachable cable for the Pro 900s because of where they are going to be used - with a Graham Slee Voyager.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 16
hey awesome, very interested in how it turns out the moon audio silver dragon cable :p Silver cable generally is more for detail right? so it'll be even more less bass i think... The connection between the left and right in the Pro 900 is also standard too right? Not sure how that affects the sound to the right speaker.

ah D7000 huh... too bad it costs $1200 AUD here in Australia and thats only ebay deals the retail pricing is around $2400 AUD... Pro 900 is only $640 AUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back