Pro-ject Xperience Classic or Music Hall mmf 7.1
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rockstream

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Please help me to make a right choice between 2 TT: Pro-Ject 2 Xperience classic( very like the look) that could be with Ortofon 2M Bronze cart for $1299 or Nagaoka MP500  cart for $1700  and Music Hall MMF7.1 that comes with Goldring GL 2400 for  $1525, price include cartridges. Local dealers do not have them as demos, so I can’t audition them.[/size]
[size=medium]I had auditioned Pro-ject RPM 9.2 with Ortofon 2MBlack and Music Hall mmf 5.1  with Goldring cart(   what Goldring cart I don’t know).   RPM sounds very sweet to my ears, but I don’t like the look.  MMF 5.1 sounds also good , but not as good as Project 9.2, but  I think the higher models with better cart could sound very decent.[/size]
[size=medium]Music Hall 7.1 futures a double plinth and stand alone motor, but does this make a real , noticeable difference in sound quality in comparison with single plinth and decoupled  motor that  Pro-ject Xperience has?  I’m asking  this question because the look of Project Xperience I love the most, but don’t want to compromise too much with the sound quality, as I already do with the RPM 9.2. [/size]
[size=medium]I like detailed, warm sound with solid bass, gentle, not harsh midrange and treble.[/size]
[size=medium]The rest of my system: amp YBA Integre DT, speakers Polk Audio LSi 15.[/size]
[size=medium]Any advice would be much appreciated.[/size]

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a pro-ject 5.1, same arm as the one you arm looking at.  Mine has a Sumiko blue point #2.  I also sold PJ and have sold the one you are looking at in olive wood with the same cart I have.
i also sell music hall, but have not heard the 7.1.  Both have the same arm and are nearly identical.  I don't think the dual plinth makes a difference unless you have a sub right next to it, on a crappy stand.
they are very detailed and offer everything you want.  They can be a little bright, but that comes with detail.
Sounds funny, but I used to have LSi15s, too.  I replaced them with some Focals.
the Polk do not have much detail and offer a ton of midbass.  That will be good for you, as their darkness will calm the strong highs of the tables.
all that said, I would pick the pro-ject because you like the look better, and so do I.
normally we should never buy equipment based on how they look, but with how similar these 2 tables are (they are even made in the same factory in the Czech Republic), the look is really the big differentiator...  
Which ever one you get, buy that companies adjustable speed controller with it.  They're badass!

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I have a pro-ject 5.1, same arm as the one you arm looking at.  Mine has a Sumiko blue point #2.  I also sold PJ and have sold the one you are looking at in olive wood with the same cart I have.
i also sell music hall, but have not heard the 7.1.  Both have the same arm and are nearly identical.  I don't think the dual plinth makes a difference unless you have a sub right next to it, on a crappy stand.
they are very detailed and offer everything you want.  They can be a little bright, but that comes with detail.
Sounds funny, but I used to have LSi15s, too.  I replaced them with some Focals.
the Polk do not have much detail and offer a ton of midbass.  That will be good for you, as their darkness will calm the strong highs of the tables.
all that said, I would pick the pro-ject because you like the look better, and so do I.
normally we should never buy equipment based on how they look, but with how similar these 2 tables are (they are even made in the same factory in the Czech Republic), the look is really the big differentiator...  
Which ever one you get, buy that companies adjustable speed controller with it.  They're badass!

Thank you for respond.
May I ask you why did you sell Project & Music Hall, what did you buy insted and why?

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 4
I sell/sold them at my job.  Sorry, I wasn't very clear...
we don't sell pj anymore because most of the salespeople in my company are idiots that don't know how to do it...
we only stock the MH USB-1, entry level...
im not being arrogant, but I'm the only one that sells higher end stuff...  The others are either scared, or don't care...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back