Pro-Ject Head Box
Nov 19, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
But seriously, he's a 100% speaker person and most likely just doesn't know the headphone amp market that has formed over the last few years. Besides, comparisons against mass consumer Creek amps just isn't very fair... I'm going to build this little amp anyway and see how it performs.

Wouldn't you mind telling which op-amp it relys upon?

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Wouldn't you mind telling which op-amp it relys upon?

Let me ask him. I know it's a dual opamp but didn't catch the exact name. Pm me in case I forget to ask.

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Let me ask him. I know it's a dual opamp but didn't catch the exact name. Pm me in case I forget to ask.

Fine, thank you!

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 78
When do you think you'll have the amp ready, saint.panda?

I'm pretty close to ordering a Corda Aria, but seeing this, I just might wait for a little while longer.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
When do you think you'll have the amp ready, saint.panda?

I'm pretty close to ordering a Corda Aria, but seeing this, I just might wait for a little while longer.
wink.gif

Oh my, I really shouldn't have said anything about this. To be honest, I have my own doubts about an amp this simple to perform too highly and the comment about it performing above 1000 Euros amps should be taken with a grain of salt since as said, Mr. Gessner is an acclaimed audio engineer but he doesn't have a lot of experience with headphone audio and probably hasn't heard too many oustanding headphone amps yet. I'll get the parts in about 2-3 weeks when I go back to Munich and will hopefully build it or have it built over Christmas. I'm also currently pursuing a different headphone amp myself so that shows that I'm not putting my hopes too high for this little amp myself either.

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

Of course, it depends on who is making the claim.
biggrin.gif

True enough... it's just that an opamp is an opamp, and a simple design using an opamp is just that. Why would one very simple design outperform all other very simple designs (like the Hornet, Go-Vibe, RA-1, Cmoy, etc)? The opamp does most of the work, and they're all pretty "standard" parts.

I'd be more interested myself in simpler discreet (no opamp) designs, and what people can do with those...

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #22 of 78
Ahhh, of course you're correct but at least let me live in the hope that this simple opamp-based design will be spectacular.
smily_headphones1.gif

After all, the SR-71 doesn't have that many parts either and sounds pretty astonishing for that.

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #23 of 78
Quote:

Oh my, I really shouldn't have said anything about this. To be honest, I have my own doubts about an amp this simple to perform too highly and the comment about it performing above 1000 Euros amps should be taken with a grain of salt since as said, Mr. Gessner is an acclaimed audio engineer but he doesn't have a lot of experience with headphone audio and probably hasn't heard too many oustanding headphone amps yet. I'll get the parts in about 2-3 weeks when I go back to Munich and will hopefully build it or have it built over Christmas. I'm also currently pursuing a different headphone amp myself so that shows that I'm not putting my hopes too high for this little amp myself either.

Oh, I'm not expecting it to surpass the Aria or anything. But if it can drive the HD580s (for example) better than a PC II, it'd be a nice budget solution.

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 78
... Just BTW ...

This new version of the Pro-Ject Headbox ("MK II") looks interesting at least from the outside... It sports really very good specifications, simple & good looks, gold plated RCA inputs and 1/4" headphone jack...
confused.gif

http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...sories&lang=en

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 78
I had a quick listen to this amp a couple of weeks ago. Just a quick. I was more interested in listening to the lehmann... there is a price difference you know :) Anyway I once bought a pro-ject headbox (mk1) and got rid of it pretty quickly. The mk2 is half the price, and I think it's a fair bit better than the mk1, making the mk2 an interesting budget choice. I didn't evaluate it enough to give it a detailed revue. It's still a low bodget product, but more entertaining than the old version. It was faster and morte responsive I think.

Cheers
Karl

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #26 of 78
I used to own a Pro-Ject Head Box, the first version with dual headphone outs. I currently use a Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

The original Head Box I had was not a good amp. It had a small form-factor and the choice of three inputs was useful, but that was about it for positive attributes. It didn't sound good and is not comparable to the Black Cube Linear.

Hopefully the Head Box MkII sounds better.

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #30 of 78
Come now, surely someone can tell if the headbox II innards' reveal anything worth noting.
wink.gif

Thanks for the pics Andy. Though, I'm not completely sure if it's ok to provide pictures which reveal the design used in a commercial amp... someone will have to clarify this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back