Pro Gamers using Grado's
Nov 30, 2008 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Yesterday i was watching Sling HD..a Gaming channel which was showing a round of Call of Duty 4 among two top clans in Singapore.
one of the gamers of the winning team was wearing an SR80.

i was little surprised..firstly SR80 aint known for Soundstage is it? ..secondly its supra aural and thirdly.. it would sound little harsh for the gunshots as its very upfront.

Are there any gamers on Head-fi here?

i am into competitive gaming and i used HD555 and now i use HD600

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 20
<< fellow gamer here. As someone who plays CS (or any FPS in general), locating sound is pretty key - so your going to be looking for a large sound stage. Nearly all of the time open headphones will > closed in that department. However, if your playing in LAN situations, you might need closed. Personally I use AD900s, and find them to be incredible. The sound stage is the largest of any headphone i've heard. Senn 555s are supposed to be decent. For closed id consider beyer dt770s probably. (maybe ultrasone's, 5 series or wtvr) But you're going to have to be aware that most of those closed headphones are not nearly as comfortable as open, so long gaming sessions would = sore ears.

In general though if sound leakage isn't an issue and your looking for FPS style gaming where sound stage is key, i'd look at an open headphone with a large sound stage. I may be mistaken, but I doubt that grados have the soundstage of the AD900s. So, I think you would be well suited with either the senn 555's or the AD900s. Others may have different experiences though.

If you're just looking for gaming headphones for the pleasure of the sound and not the performance boost, you're going to want something with some good bass. (DT770s would be a good candidate)

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I misread your post as saying u were looking to buy the senn's not that you already had them. So, in response to your post, I would say you are correct that around-the-ear open headphones would give better soundstage reproduction than grados. I have not gamed with grados however, so perhaps someone else can tell us who has.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 20
I also like to game a bit but not really competitively since I don't have the time.
Well that somebody wears Grados for gaming does not surprise me anymore nowadays. If you look at the news coverage of competitive clans, many gamers in the pictures are wearing total crap from creative, plantronics, steelseries or razer. So apparently some guy picked up a pair of SR80s to show off without realizing that they're totally unsuitable for gaming..

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 20
My MS-1s worked wonders with CoD2. Maybe even better than my HD595s did. The HD595s were so airy and all that some details eventually got lost. The MS-1s was better in that regard. More involving.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday i was watching Sling HD..a Gaming channel which was showing a round of Call of Duty 4 among two top clans in Singapore.
one of the gamers of the winning team was wearing an SR80.

i was little surprised..firstly SR80 aint known for Soundstage is it? ..secondly its supra aural and thirdly.. it would sound little harsh for the gunshots as its very upfront.

Are there any gamers on Head-fi here?

i am into competitive gaming and i used HD555 and now i use HD600

Supra Aural or Circumaural does not really matter, important is in some cases that the phones or either open or closed. Open if you sit together with your team and try to coordinate, closed of course when you are at a lanparty and it is just soo freaking noisy...

I am not sure, but I did not really care about soundstage, it was important to me if there was a way to hear certain things and certain things earlier then the enemy. That may be the reason that guy prefers the brighter SR80.

It is once again all up to your or his personal preference, the gunshots or whatever might sound harsh to you, but probably not to him. You might find the Grado's to uncomfy, epsecially for longer periods like a clanwar, he probably needs the itchy pads to perform/play best
smily_headphones1.gif

He most probably just likes that Grado makes "the best headphones" or whatever local audio/hifi magazines tell him...

I either used the HD495 or HD280 later DT250 for gaming. And I was not too bad, but that was a while back when the whole e-gaming or however that is now officially called scene/thing started.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 20
I once played with SR-60 and they really aren't bad for gaming. You can pinpoint directions as good as with other cans even if the soundstage is very small. But the fact that they are quite upfront makes you hear every possible detail much earlier so you can hear footsteps or enemies reloading (and therefore directions) much easier than with other phones.

I play with my GS-1000 most of the time now and they aren't bad (harrharr) either
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 20
Do a fair bit of gaming here with fps and rts thrown into the mix (non-competitively though). Currently using PX100s which are sufficient for the moment (at least i can pin point right/left and most of the times front or back as well)
tongue.gif
. But from my own experiences headphones > crappy 2.0/2.1 speakers since I couldn't tell left from right. But hopefully things will improve when I get my AD700s.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 20
I love my Grado SR325i but I have not even consider using them for FPS (in my case CF:S and TF2). Though it would probably work wonders on footsteps and such, gunshots would go over everything and be huge distraction, ruining any 3d spatial senses you have of your surroundings during gunfights that you are in or even near you. Not to mention they would not feel comfortable nor secure with all the fidgeting I do while playing.

Normally I use my DT770-80 since it is easy on the ears while keeping the sound in, creating an excellent sense of 3d surroundings. Plus, people around you won't be annoyed. I especially can't see how anyone can use Grado's for FPS as they leak alot of sound (ALOT!) and should annoy the hell out of anyone around you.

I guess I should try out my Grado's for some FPS gaming but I would be worried I would move my head around alot and they would fling off since they don't sit tight on my head. Plus, I want to keep my tinnitus down!

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 20
Well if your playing alone (ie. non competively at your house) which I usually do, i don't really see open headphones being much of an issue. If your lanning or in a tourney, then yes open headphones wouldn't cut it. My personal view only though

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 20
I'm a gamer mate
smily_headphones1.gif
Been hard at the Quakes (QW, Q2, Q3 and CPMA) as well as a "little" COD for years now (12 years or more). Back when I played more seriously the guys I knew that were pro players seemed to favour the headphones that you already have. HD595's used to be used and recommended alot. I bought a pair of HD25's as a cheaper alternative. Basicly for gaming, as far as I can see you just want really good external noise canceling and a really good sound stage to help with sound direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back