Pro audio interface recommendations!
Apr 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dadab12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm torn between several audio interfaces..
I decided to pick the Focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp for 400$ but now i'm unsure.
How's the difference in sound quality between these and the RME Babyface? the babyface is really pricey for me so i'm really not sure if this the correct move.
are there any better options in terms of sound quality and drivers?
The usbpre 2 looks nice too got my attention aswell.

I'm really looking for the best sound quality for headphones usage, I'll be using the Ultrasone pro 900.
I need good mic preamp and a good quality AD/DA converters aswell.
Please help me guys it's hard!

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 3
I've found that it's hard to go wrong with RME in terms of sound quality in general, and the USB interfaces haven't disappointed me thus far. I've meandered across several interfaces, including Focusrite, but apart from a couple of Prism Orpheus my setups are all-RME now - 800, 400 and lately UFX's (which will, now that I've tried it, eventually likely supercede all my 800/400) + Babyface (which is my transportable notebook source / recording). The dedicated software you get is a plus, especially if you actually record or use the cards as a reference tool. Having said that, the Saffires are not bad at all. It's just that if you want something solid that'll not leave you wanting to upgrade later, I'd pick from one of the RME interfaces. Also, you're looking at a different form factor: The Babyface is bus powered and USB, the Saffire... well, isn't. The Saffire is fairly well appointed with physical IO and the Babyface.... well, isn't quite as much. What are you actually looking for?

May 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 3
RME is head and shoulders above the focusrite stuff.  Not only are the converters and preamps better, but the RME drivers are really stable and flexible with regards to routing.  Don't belive for a minute that the cheap focusrite stuff has anything at all to do with the products that made them famous.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back