Printer Recommendation
Jan 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Icarium

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey I'm in the market for a printer. Preferably 200ish or under. Laser preferred. If that only gets me black and white that's fine.

If no one has a particular model to recommend a brand or must have features would really rule. I don' thave any size restrictions. I'd preferably just like it to be reliable... print reasonably fast and not jam... cheapish ink refills and maybe silent as well.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 13
All printers suck. Buy they one you like.

I've been using printers since they've existed. They're all plastic pieces of crap when it comes right down to it unless you spend BIG bucks.

/hates printers....

GAD

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 13
Yeah my family has a brother. It's functional.. I suppose...

I think I'll go with HP or Canon.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 13
if quality prints matter, canon or epson inkjets. for lasers, I guess still canon, though I'd check toner prices first and see which brands gouge you least for replacements. I'd never pick HP, especially for inkjet, as cartridges can cost almost as much as a new printer (with ink bundled).

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All printers suck. Buy they one you like.

I've been using printers since they've existed. They're all plastic pieces of crap when it comes right down to it unless you spend BIG bucks.

/hates printers....

GAD

Agreed. HPs are fast but break down too quickly. Epsons seem to be quite durable but they're slow. Canon seem to be okay but I've only owned one. I'd pick up an entry level colour laser, that'd be much more durable.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Bought a Canon PX 700 multifunction and hooked it up to my router in a wireless network. Works great. Terrific print quality for text. Haven't done photos yet - rarely do. Scanning is great. Very quiet. Quick once it gets going.

Mooch

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 13
I have a 4 year old Epson multi-function inkjet that is still going strong. I have had zero issues with it. It is much better than HP's I have had/used.

cheers
Simon

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Beware color lasers. I bought a reasonably nice one at a great price. If all the tonors die, it costs me...

SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS to replace them.

3 x $199 and 1 x 99.

Did I mention that I hate printers?

GAD

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beware color lasers. I bought a reasonably nice one at a great price. If all the tonors die, it costs me...

SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS to replace them.

3 x $199 and 1 x 99.

Did I mention that I hate printers?

GAD

geez, that's a lot of $$$$ for the toner. how's the quality of those color laser printers? do u print in color that often?

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the best experience with HP printers.

stay away from Brother. that's what i have. the scanner/card reader is useful, but it sucks as a printer.

Yes.. the Brother is horrible. I have one and it jams regularly and looks ugly.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 13
I got brother HL-2040 at heavily discounted price, and I printed quite lot for last few months. So... basically, I don't really care even if it decide to belly up on me. Staples once sold it at $39 during Xmas season, i think. I'd say buy it if you can find good deal like that.

My last printer was samsung ML series, forgot the model number, anyway, which is big looks like a office machine, I paid couple hundred bucks for that. So it must be durable? Not really. It died before the cartridge that comes with dried. I don't know other samsung printers, but I won't buy them again.

I had couple HP lasers too. I have mixed opinions regarding HP lasers. Some were working like horses, others were junks. Not sure how they are in these days since I haven't had any recent HP products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back