Price-no-object PC TOSLink Output, 16/44.1
Jan 18, 2004 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

asdfeproiu9

Banned
What would be the highest quality method to output an optical TOSLink signal from a PC? I do not have the necessary funds yet, but I do plan to upgrade my PC setup into my primary one some time in the near future.

Right now: Win2k3 -> Lossless -> Fb2k -> M-Audio Sonica -> Finest Glass TOSLink -> Monarchy DIP Classic -> (some sort of coaxial cable) -> modified Sony SACD/CD/DVD all-in-one digital receiver

Eventually, I'm going to 'upgrade' (swap out) the Sony to a real (non-oversampling) DAC, perhaps a Scott Nixon TubeDac, or Ack dAck, or even a used 47 Shigaraki DAC.

Jan 18, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I would recommend getting a better soundcard. I found the RME cards a significant boost in quality using optical digital out because of their low jitter. This could lead to better quality than even going to your all in one digital receiver.

I'd think about power conditioning also as the computer's power supplies throw a lot of noise back in the line.

Jan 18, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Good DACs have some sort of buffer (e.g. RAM) and don't slave their clock to the input's clock but use their own stabilized clock for D/A conversion. This way jitter in input is "filtered out" and won't affect the DAC. Here's ome more information about this .

Jan 18, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions! I have indeed looked at the RME 96/8 cards, but I want something more specialized, similar to the Lynx AES16 or L22 but with an TOSLink output.

As for the memory buffer for jitter - do you know of any good examples? I'm really not quite sure what to look for.

Jan 18, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 8
What about that Lynx do you particularly like?

You have to figure the more specialized something is, the less reviews you'll get especially concerning pro audio equipment and audiophiles. The price will get astronomical also. You'll probably be best spending $ on other things no?

Jan 18, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 8
I like the Lynx cards for their insane spec's, mostly. However, they are pretty pricey. I'm also looking at the RME Hammerfall Lite - but again, there are few reviews. Are there any companies/brands that make comparable PC solution?

Yes price is a factor, but honestly, anything under $1000 will be okay. Anyway, I won't be picking this system up anytime in the next few months.

By the way, in digital audio, does dynamic range mean anything? Also, what the heck is ADAT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back