Price difference between portable amplifiers
Jun 12, 2005 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Cortes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys/gals,

well, I'm a little reluctant but seemingly I'll have to buy an amplifier for my waveterminal U24/Er4p-s rig. I've been doing some search in the forum, and 3 amps have caught my attention in different price categories. The SM V3 (300$), the Portaphile V2 (185$), and the Maxi Moy (125$).

Clearly, I'd rather prefer to expend 185$ instead of 300$, or 125$ even better. I've not a golden ear, and I'm just wondering if I'll be well served with the Portaphile or Maxi Moy (other suggestions are welcome, of course!).

Is there a 'wow' factor of difference between a 130$ portable amplifier and a SM v3 (300$) amplifier that justifies the 170$ bucks?. With the difference I could buy some HD600 in amazon. The sound from the SM is twice better, much better, better, sligthly better ... than the sound of the other amplifiers?

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 23
Sorry to avoid the question but why do you feel you need to buy an amp? The 4p is very easy to drive, I'm not sure you'd see a benefit to it...

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 23
ufff great question!. Well, let's say that I don't feel very thrilled by the sound I get from my waveterminal/Ety. Maybe I'm not a Ety's guy, maybe I need more punch for the cans. I'm afraid the only way to know it is trying an amp, and as I'm not very sure I'd prefer not to expend much money. I was thinking also of buying some HD600's in amazon to change of sound signature and to have open cans, but a head-fier suggested me in another post to begin with an amplifier. One never knows.
Regards

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 23
If you are really going to move up to a HD600 or might get a sm3. HD600 is going to need a decent amp to drive it. You could get a less model but then with HD600 you will wonder if you are missing something.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortes
ufff great question!. Well, let's say that I don't feel very thrilled by the sound I get from my waveterminal/Ety. Maybe I'm not a Ety's guy, maybe I need more punch for the cans.

Well, an amplifer is at it's most useful with hard to drive cans, since the Etys don't qualify as hard to drive, I don't think you will get a lot of bang for the buck. I would think you need to look either at the source or canalphones first. The HD-600s ARE hard to drive and really need a headphone amplifer to sound their best. I don't know what a waveterminal is so it might be the culprit. then again the Ety's have their own signature, and it tends to lack bass so that might very well be your problem. The Chicago Head-Fi scene is pretty strong, even if there isn't a meet right away I'm sure there are members that will let you try their gear. My suggestion is to try one of them first because it sounds to me like you're not going to get the effect you are searching for and are going to be even more miserable after buying the amp. That being said, I personally think there is a lot of value going from a $150 amp to a $400 dollar amp like the SR-71, I just don't think it will solve your problem.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 23
One other thing. I personally use an amplifer with my Etys and find it improves the quality of the sound but relatively speaking, it's subtle. I found that after becoming accustomed to the Etys and my portable source I could hear the problems in the high and low end on my Etys. Adding an amplifier into the equation took care of the deficiencies I heard. It sounds like you are far more disatisfied than I was with the Etys so I do not see the difference being big enough to suddenly put a smile on your face...

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
If you are really going to move up to a HD600 or might get a sm3. HD600 is going to need a decent amp to drive it. You could get a less model but then with HD600 you will wonder if you are missing something.

The first time I heard a pair of HD600's and actually liked them was with my HD25. THey definately show major improvements with better amplification, as do the better grado's.
If you're unsatisfied with what you have now, its either the source or your headphones, an amplifier isn't going to offer major improvement over what you already have.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 23
thanks guys. I appreciate very much your input. So, if I've understood you properly I have 2 options:
a) stay like now and try to heard other gear in some place
b) if I buy a HD600 I must buy at least a 300$ amplifier, which produces a total ~500$.

Well, option b) is too much for my wallet, so I have only option a) left
biggrin.gif
. Unfortunately I'll be leaving Chicago and the US very soon, and back to Europa it'll be almost impossible to listen the most of the gear you are talking about here. But there's not more reasonable options...
Thanks for your help.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 23
it just occurred to me that another possible option would be some open cans that don't need amplication. Any idea to complement the Ety's? .... I think I'll become nuts if I keep reading this forum!
rolleyes.gif

BTW the Volume Logic options of the Itunes plugin that I like the most with the Ety's are "Spoken Word" and "FM Magic". Does it give you any idea of what it's my favorite sound signature?. Sorry, but my crappy English does not allow me to do a realistic description of my sounds hearing perceptions.

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 23
Yea you just get a nice pair of Grado 60s and not have to get a amp and will different sounding headphone.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

if I buy a HD600 I must buy at least a 300$ amplifier, which produces a total ~500$

No, you don't need to buy a $300 amp with the HD600. Without an amp you won't be utilizing the HD600 to its fullest potential, but that's not the same as saying that the HD600 is unlistenable without an amp.

Trust me, you can plug an HD600 to an iPod shuffle without an amp and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
biggrin.gif
I say get the HD600 first. amp second.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 23
I do not know the presets you mention, but based on their names they would seem to enhance the mids. This would probably mean the 600's would have the right signature for you. They won't hit their peak without an amp, or even come close to it but it really depends on how picky you are. I found I could not listen to the 600s without an amp because I could hear details that should have been there that were just missing or blurred over without an amplifier. Of course, this doesn't mean you would be unhappy with the setup...

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 23
Buying the SM V3 biased into class A will have a dramatic change in what you are hearing.

John

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 23
yes the SM v3 seems nice, but 300$ is too much for me at this moment.

The grado's seems nice too, but I listen mainly to pop music and just a little of Rock, so I don't think they are the most suitable for me.

gpalmer, your are more likely right with the mids, because I've set the Bass Boost close to zero in the Volume Logic pluggin. Then I might be a mid's guy (sounds funny jajaja). What's are your suggestions for great mid's cans?

Regards and thanks again.

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortes
The grado's seems nice too, but I listen mainly to pop music and just a little of Rock, so I don't think they are the most suitable for me.

gpalmer, your are more likely right with the mids, because I've set the Bass Boost close to zero in the Volume Logic pluggin. Then I might be a mid's guy (sounds funny jajaja). What's are your suggestions for great mid's cans?

I wouldn't rule the Grados out just because you listen to a lot of rock. The 600's are outstanding in the mids, but at least for me, require an amplifer to be usable. Unfortunately, I am not an expert in the range your looking at. How about starting a thread in the headphones forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back