"Price DEFINITELY a factor" amp for AKG K1000
Mar 23, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #76 of 89
Any updates?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanddancer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a Trends TA-10 and am pretty happy with it. I've got 4.7 ohm resistors jumping the terminals on mine and I did notice an improvement with them.

Does anyone have any info on modding this amp? I'm happy enough with it that I'm not likely (at least in the near future) to be spending thousands on a RWA or Firstwatt or anything when this is doing the job as well as it is. But I can't let the wallet off that easily
wink.gif

I was thinking of ordering another one of these amps, getting a nice enclosure, putting it all in one fullsize case, build the power supply into it so that it's plugged in with a regular kettle lead rather than the adaptor thing that comes with it. Upgrade whatever internals will make a difference, maybe do something to lower the gain so that I can use more range on the volume knob (I'm the same, no more than 9 o clock at the moment), maybe sort out that channel imbalance (though it occurs lower than my regular listening volume so it's not really a problem). I'd also like a proper XLR connector so I don't need the K1000 pigtail. Maybe add some ye olde style meters on the front of the case for some audiophile bling.

I'd use my current TA-10 during the build and then stick it up on the classifieds.

I'm fairly handy with the practical side of DIY and a soldering iron, but have no idea about the theory. I couldn't go about modifying the workings of the amp without having some guide or instuctions to follow. I could manage the case, the power side of it, the output connector, maybe the meters myself.

www.michael.mardis.com

seems like the biggest improvements are replacing input caps, power caps, and switching to battery power

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #81 of 89
Thought that been already done with TA10.1 model, which is better than TA10, in that point I mean, inst?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can dramatically improve the sound quality of the Trends by changing the input capacitor and inductors.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange, just got my second set and these sound more full with great bass even through the SI t-amp which on my other set sounded thin. Gonna run them through the Hafler to see how they do in the morning.

Is this a case of older K1000 being bassier than newer K1000? What's the serial number of the two headphones in question?
Oh, and have you measured the DC offset of your SI t-amp? I know a high offset could be detrimental to the K1000's health, but I don't know how much would be too much.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a case of older K1000 being bassier than newer K1000? What's the serial number of the two headphones in question?
Oh, and have you measured the DC offset of your SI t-amp? I know a high offset could be detrimental to the K1000's health, but I don't know how much would be too much.

I don't know what it is at present as my sets are both old, 01xxx and the newer set is 04xxx so there shouldn't be much difference. Gotta do more listening.

The t-amp is normally only used with my old Staxes and I'm ordering a Big Joe today so it's a very short term measure.

*edit*
Yep, the newer, later set is fuller with more bass than the very old set so that bucks the trend a little.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #87 of 89
Just want to throw in some of my thoughts on the variance within the K1000s (coming from a guy who absolutely loves the K1000s):

At the end of the day, it is still a K1000. Meaning, those who thinks that the K1000s are too bass-shy will still think that they are too bass-shy. Any variance within the production run is very unlikely going to change the opinions of those who do not like the K1000s to begin with. Thus, the variances among K1000s will really only matter to those who are already set on building a K1000-rig.

So if anyone is on the fence about getting the K1000s because of this supposed variance in production, my advice to you is this: forget all of it. Just listen to it first, if you like what you hear, then that's the end of the story. If you don't like it, this variance will not do anything to change your mind, because I can pretty much guarantee you that this difference won't be of any relevance if you don't like what you heard with the K1000s.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #89 of 89
Here is a 6moons review of the nOrh SE-9. Srajan seems to like it a lot, but this was before he got his hands on the First Watts (he's had F-1, F-2, F-3 and I think the F-4) and the Audiosector Patek (one of them is on the way to my pad as I type this). The date of the review is from 2002.

The nOrh seems very, very interesting. And 6moons has a significant amount of coverage of the K1K. They are a good resource for info and amp choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back