Preventing CIEM yellowing
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ike1985

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not concerned about sound tube yellowing because the IEMs I'm using do not have soundtubes in the canal. Im concerned about preventing rhe acrylic shells from yellowing. Is there somwthing I can wipe them down with the prevent the clear shells feom yellowing over time.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 3
To pitch in from a material engineering perspective, the yellowing is more due to prolonged UV exposure, since most CIEM's shell acrylic and lacquer both use UV initiator. However, in a lot of the cases, it is not the shell material turning yellow but the lacquering agent. So there is no way you can wipe it off, however, you may ask your manufacturer to remove the lacquer and apply a new layer. That may ease the yellowing.

We at AAW uses our own recipe for the lacquer, it took us years to get it perfect. So all that effort is to get them resistant from turning yellow or cracking while maintaining excellent hardness as well. We are also working on our version acrylic, will see how that goes.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 3
To pitch in from a material engineering perspective, the yellowing is more due to prolonged UV exposure, since most CIEM's shell acrylic and lacquer both use UV initiator. However, in a lot of the cases, it is not the shell material turning yellow but the lacquering agent. So there is no way you can wipe it off, however, you may ask your manufacturer to remove the lacquer and apply a new layer. That may ease the yellowing.

We at AAW uses our own recipe for the lacquer, it took us years to get it perfect. So all that effort is to get them resistant from turning yellow or cracking while maintaining excellent hardness as well. We are also working on our version acrylic, will see how that goes.

Fascinating! I look forward to hearing the W900 on the demo tour. That is one IEM that's been on my short list for a very long time I have read your website before when oogling over the 900, I dont recall reading about the laquer. You should add thst to your page as a customer I know it's something I'd appreciate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back