Preventing Cable knots
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vinny77

100+ Head-Fier
I keep getting these kind of knots in my cloth covered cables. Its not really like a full looped knot, but instead a bend in the cable that cant be undone.

How can I prevent these?

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 14
Not sure quite what you mean.

You mean the cable kinks and you can't work the kink out?

Any chance you can take a photograph of what you're talking about?

se

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 14
If you want to do what the pro's do, you should wrap your cable with the over/under technique. Not only will it stop knots when you do it right, it will also stop your cable from gaining a memory (retaining the looped shape).

It's hard to describe without showing, so watch this: Over / Under Cable Wrap Technique on Vimeo

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 14
^Thats a very handy link there man! Really nice and useful technique.
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Is that the stock cable?

Anyway, that's what can happen with regular wire. If it gets a tight kink in it, it never quite straightens back out again.

Best you can do is just keep it from getting kinked in the first place.

se

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the stock cable?

Anyway, that's what can happen with regular wire. If it gets a tight kink in it, it never quite straightens back out again.

Best you can do is just keep it from getting kinked in the first place.

se

yeah its the stock,

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Those kinks can be gotten rid of, but you risk breaking the cable.

Best practice is to wrap your cables properly or use one of those silly rubber cable organizing doohickies (really now, the automatic spell check recognized "doohickies"?) and be careful when storing them.

Well, that or re-cable with some microphone cable. That stuff is next to impossible to kink (since half the diameter is the PVC jacket most of the time).

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I say upgrade the cable and start using the over under looping technique.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 14
When putting my headphones away, I wind them in a loose circle. I have a pair or two in their cases, but if I have them out, I keep them on stands and the cables carefully placed on the table. I even wind my iem cables like that and bought a small circular case for them to keep them that way. Works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back