Pretty Hate Machine (2010 Remaster)
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #31 of 44
Not convinced it can sound better looking at that, knowing how bad the likes of With Teeth sounds compared to Pretty Hate Machine. Sure I still like the album, but it clearly has distortion and lacks range compared to Pretty Hate Machine, and its graphs look closer to this remaster. The original Pretty Hate Machine has very small amounts of clipping, and has good punch and dynamic range. I agree some of the songs could use a little more bass volume, and if you really don't like the style of the sound, some flesh could be added to the mid range too, and perhaps even the echo could be tamed a bit, but I don't see how small tweaks like these should equate to masses of clipping. What a way to ruin a classic album.
And no, without many more opinions I'm not going to buy it just to see; the album is far too expensive in the UK to end up with something that sounds worse than what I already own. I don't see how $8 equates to almost £15. That's close to three times the raw value, and more than double even with VAT (the said VAT of the double value, not single). Not sure who this Bicycle Music Company is that took the content over from TVT, but they need to sort their pricing out over here. Can't believe Trent would let them rip us off like this. In fact, I think I'll use other methods to obtain this album and actually see how bad it sounds for myself.

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #32 of 44
Ahh Pretty hate machine, the CD that was released 21 days after I was born.  Probably my favorite of all of Nine Inch Nails works. For the time it was ahhead of it's time and has become one of the timeless CD's I find myself coming back too.

No matter what you says about the quality of any of it's versions I will always enjoy it. I could use the worst audio equipment in the world to listen to this cd and still be impressed so much by the music.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 44

Quote:
In fact, I think I'll use other methods to obtain this album and actually see how bad it sounds for myself.

I bought mine from Amazon.com. No trouble with the order or delivery and way less than UK retailers.

Quote:
SoSpecial said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ahh Pretty hate machine, the CD that was released 21 days after I was born.

Um, I feel so damn old now.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #35 of 44
I picked it up to keep up with the Halo's. Really, what a great marketer TR is! Anyway, I'll never play it again. Someone mentioned sterile and bass light for the original mix. That's fine with me. The darkwave, synthy sound from the time was meant to sound cold. Where bass is concerned, not everything has to sound like the latest Hot Chip album. PHM is an album of its time and place, and I prefer to hear it that way. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #39 of 44

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed to see everyone hating on this allbum (no pun intended) without hearing it. I don't care how bad it looks, judge with your damn ears!

What people judging something without listening to it first... Welcome to Head-Fi 
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #40 of 44
took some time to listen and i do not like the remaster

the original clearly has more dynamic range and the bass in the remaster has a weird bloated quality that kills the mood of some of the songs

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #43 of 44
Yay, the "Remaster" is louder.  Woohoo.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #44 of 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back