Pretty good portable CDP for < $20
Oct 29, 2006 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
Thanks to our friend George Louis over at Audio Asylum, the Memorex MD6447BLU at Walmart for $16-$19 depending on your store. This thing sounds better than it should for $20. Has a 60sec buffer that you can switch on and off, runs on 2 AA batts. Has a jack for 5VDC in, line out and head out. Don't expect to run or walk with it, it's very light and pretty flimsy and will skip if you touch it. Set it down on the table or desk, plug in and prepare to be amazed for <$20. It just shouldn't sound this good. Throw away the headphones that come with or give them to your baby brother or nephew to trash. The Memorex sounds pretty good with Senn PX100's. The line out is very good except for the gain, very low level output signal. Head out jack/driver is specd. at 32 ohms. Listening now via rat shack mini to rca pair cable, thru home Pimeta and Beyer DT880's. I think I prefer the PX100's straight out of the head jack. Sounds a little thin thru the Pimeta but mine takes a long time to warm up and sound good.

0074972000717_215X215.jpg

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Yeah but. We can buy a good old Discman from ebay for $10.
Not a really old vintage one that skips.
A newer 1999 model for instance with ESP2, backlit remote etc,.
Like a D-E775. Cost $20 on ebay. It is so superior to that wal mart thing it's not funny
eggosmile.gif

But cost the same.

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah. There have been zero advancements in DSP, chips and memory since 1999. I wouldn't buy a used Sony anything for one $. There is a reason people sell old used crap on Ebay. I don't buy used gear anymore from anybody except a bricks and mortar dealer that has guarantees and return privileges, too many disappointments from unscrupulous people with no morals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back