PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 353
I've always felt that B&O was high on style and design but low on substance.  But I guess the proof is in the listening.  
basshead.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #18 of 353
These better deliver in spades, for 399 euros that's just over 500 bones USD which puts these cans in the Senn HD650 MSRP ballpark. Any idea when these will hit N. America and if Jude will have a crack at them so we can have some impressions before committing to a buy?

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 353
Quote:
These better deliver in spades, for 399 euros that's just over 500 bones USD which puts these cans in the Senn HD650 MSRP ballpark. Any idea when these will hit N. America and if Jude will have a crack at them so we can have some impressions before committing to a buy?

+1

its 520USD, upper mid-fi, besides the HD 650s thats closer to PS500, 702 annies, HE400/HE-5LE, D5000, T70/T90 territory, basically everything short of a HE-500 which is the next tier.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 353
Quote:

+1

its 520USD, upper mid-fi, besides the HD 650s thats closer to PS500, 702 annies, HE400/HE-5LE, D5000, T70/T90 territory, basically everything short of a HE-500 which is the next tier.

Yep, and that next tier up to the HE-500 isn't really that big a step price wise either. B&O has their work cut out for them. I really hope these new cans are as good as the press release tries to make them out to be. I really like the look of them, they have a nice modern stylish look to them that avoids looking gaudy.
Whoops, I nearly forgot

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #22 of 353
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #23 of 353
As an owner of the both the Form-2 and the A8, I'll admit that I'm a little excited.

Seeing those vents on the IEM, I'm just going to assume that it's going to be a single-driver dynamic. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #24 of 353
Quote:
I just realized that B&O names their products with the prefix Beo- and that is the company name without the "and" part.

Looks like they will be available at Apple Store, I may give the H6 a try. Hopefully they'll do better and B&W and h/k - h/k headphones are decent though, but B&W's are plain bad.

You are perhaps the only person I know who likes the h/k headphones and thinks the B&Ws are "bad".

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #25 of 353
You are perhaps the only person I know who likes the h/k headphones and thinks the B&Ws are "bad".

Not really, I think the B&W headphones are highly overpriced and mediocre sounding at best. I tried to get along with my P5 and finally gave up after a year. I sold it off at a loss.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #26 of 353
I've always thought of the modern B&O as a luxury brand more than an audio brand, so the MSRP doesn't really surprise me. It's easy to see the price and immediately look to Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, and HiFiMAN, but people have been doing that for years. It's the difference between a luxury-first brand and an audio-first brand. Generally different markets, that's all.

The design of the headphones is interesting. Overall shape reminds me of Sony, headband bumps like AKG (or Sennheiser), and angled connectors like Audeze.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #27 of 353
These look amazing, though i must admit B&O headphones (and to some degree their speakers) never was something to write home about, not compared to their price at least. So i'm not really expecting anything.

I actually visited their HQ and factory in Struer, Denmark not that long ago and i must admit that these people are dedicated and has some really great people working for them, plus the quality of their products is prestine because they got this crazy quality control.

But as the above poster said they would rather compromise sound than style, that's just how the company works.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 353
I wonder if the H6 pads are replaceable?

Well, the ornamental strips on my first speakers ever: "B&O RL 45.2" were but they were about 60 Deutsche Mark (€30,-), too.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #29 of 353
Over $500USD? Ouch. All these audio companies jumping into the headphone game with some lofty prices..

I guess this will be the trend that is going to follow for what feels like.. the rest of our lives.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #30 of 353
The pads are replaceable - but only with their own pads. They can be twisted off and you won't be able to fit other pads on them. But the ones they come with are VERY soft and nice leather. They are full size over-the-ear - not on-ear.

The sound is more clear and the seperation is better than the DT-1350 to my ears. Bigger soundstage and better overall clarity. My DT-1350 sounds a bit veiled in direct comparison and I have always liked them. They have angled drivers so I think that helps to broaden the perspective a little. I have to admit I am surprised by how good they sound because the house is very slim and it is closed design so I expected them to be either very bassy or congested but they are overall very neutral and opensounding. 

Disclaimer; I work for B&O - not in Sales or R&D but in the quality department. I have been a headphone geek much longer than I have been working at B&O. I have to admit I was at first very sceptical about these from the beginning and I never thought the design was right because of the limited space but I am surprised by the result anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back