Presonus HP4 - only half way of volume has an effect
Dec 22, 2009 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

240DF

New Head-Fier
I bought the headphone amp Presonus HP4. Sound is very good (I hear no difference in blind test with Lake People G100), loud with low impedance headphone and a little quiet with my AKG 240 DF but I noticed that the volume have no effect from 12 o'clock position - only first half affects on volume. This is no really problem for low impedance headphone but I bought this amp explicit for my AKG 240 DF.

Is this bug or feature? Can someone observe this behavior with his HP4?

regards

PS. Sorry for my poor english

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Mine contines to get louder. Maybe your unit has a problem?

I find the Presonus very loud and easily drives high impedance headphones. Good sound too.

I'd try changing it.

Ian

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine contines to get louder. Maybe your unit has a problem?

I find the Presonus very loud and easily drives high impedance headphones. Good sound too.

I'd try changing it.

Ian

Thanks for your answer!

I suspect some problem too but I asked a Presonus distributor and the shop where I bought the unit. The distributor said "There is no defect. HP4 operates in the described way. Due to its construction HP4 is optimized rather for low impedance closed studio headphones". But direct in the next phrase he write "I can not find out why the control range ends at 12 o'clock". It stands in conflict to its previous statement.

The shop tested another unit of HP4 and observed in principle the same behaviour. He said "after 12 o'clock it will be slightly louder but not really much so the volume control is available primarily in first half and then occur few volume changes".

So I'am fully confused now.

Is here maybe someone who have both - Presonus HP4 and AKG 240 DF and can test it?

regards

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 240DF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your answer!

I suspect some problem too but I asked a Presonus distributor and the shop where I bought the unit. The distributor said "There is no defect. HP4 operates in the described way. Due to its construction HP4 is optimized rather for low impedance closed studio headphones". But direct in the next phrase he write "I can not find out why the control range ends at 12 o'clock". It stands in conflict to its previous statement.

The shop tested another unit of HP4 and observed in principle the same behaviour. He said "after 12 o'clock it will be slightly louder but not really much so the volume control is available primarily in first half and then occur few volume changes".

So I'am fully confused now.

Is here maybe someone who have both - Presonus HP4 and AKG 240 DF and can test it?

regards

Low impedance studio closed studio headphones? He obviously works in the business.

Give it back. There is something wrong with it.

I got mine out and hooked up AKG K701. They go too loud. Granted, most of the action as far as volume goes is from zero to 12 O'clock but they still get louder after 12 and the AKG's are a difficult load.

The Presonus is a loud amp. It has a lot of output.

Studios don't use a Presonus amp. Who's he kidding?

Ian

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Low impedance studio closed studio headphones? He obviously works in the business.

Give it back. There is something wrong with it.

I got mine out and hooked up AKG K701. They go too loud. Granted, most of the action as far as volume goes is from zero to 12 O'clock but they still get louder after 12 and the AKG's are a difficult load.

The Presonus is a loud amp. It has a lot of output.

Studios don't use a Presonus amp. Who's he kidding?

Ian

Hi Ian, I'd like to know how you think the HP4 drives the K701, if it is a decent amp, neutral (for the price at least), does a good job at giving one an idea of k701's potential?
Also if you could mention your sources and other headphones for comparison. I am interested in the Presonus HP4 for connecting several headphones and the mono button seems interesting, have you tried it (and compared it to crossfeed from other amps)?
Thanks in advance,
Ary

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ian, I'd like to know how you think the HP4 drives the K701, if it is a decent amp, neutral (for the price at least), does a good job at giving one an idea of k701's potential?
Also if you could mention your sources and other headphones for comparison. I am interested in the Presonus HP4 for connecting several headphones and the mono button seems interesting, have you tried it (and compared it to crossfeed from other amps)?
Thanks in advance,
Ary

Hi Ary,

I'm still in the process of burning the K701 in. (300 hours so far)

Now you got me wondering so I tried a few things:

Ipod Classic
Naim CD5i
Cyrus 6se
Cambridge Audio Azure 640c

No Crossfeed.

I also have Sennheiser HD250 Linear, HD600 and HD650, Beyer DT150

The amp drives them all.

In comparison to X-Cans V2 and V8 and the little Aune amp, it is warmer via the Presonus.

The Presonus is comparitively limited in bass and top end but then it's a cheap amp. It's loud and becomes too loud at about 11 o' clock. It's a pleasant listen, just not as extended as the X-Cans. The Aune seems a little weightier.

The Presonus (and the Aune) are bargains.

I think that the Aune is very good with the K701 at that sort of price. It's a bit more than the HP4 but it is a classy little amp. No mono switch but the sound is superb. The guy who sells them on Ebay is in UK and he is helpful.

Ian

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

In comparison to X-Cans V2 and V8 and the little Aune amp, it is warmer via the Presonus.

The Presonus is comparitively limited in bass and top end but then it's a cheap amp. It's loud and becomes too loud at about 11 o' clock. It's a pleasant listen, just not as extended as the X-Cans. The Aune seems a little weightier.

The Presonus (and the Aune) are bargains.

I think that the Aune is very good with the K701 at that sort of price. It's a bit more than the HP4 but it is a classy little amp. No mono switch but the sound is superb. The guy who sells them on Ebay is in UK and he is helpful.

Ian

Thanks for the comparisons. What Aune is it? I only found two. One for 100usd and the other for 160usd
I suppose you are referring to the 160usd Aune since it can be used as an amp, then it seems like a nice value, as it is a dac as well. However for multi headphone purposes and only amp, the hp4 used (sometimes less than 70usd) looks very appealing.
Regards

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 12
the 100 usd one. It works from usb on computers and as a straight forward amp. Very good sound on K701. Imo drives better than Presonus.

However, if you're looking for multi out and mono switch, then Presonus is amazing cheap buy.

Ian

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

the 100 usd one. It works from usb on computers and as a straight forward amp. Very good sound on K701. Imo drives better than Presonus.

However, if you're looking for multi out and mono switch, then Presonus is amazing cheap buy.

Ian

How do you use it as a stand alone amp? I couldn't find any analog inputs. If fed by usb, isn't then the dac section used? In that case to compare its headphone out, the hp4 would have to be connected to the analog outs for comparison.
Regards

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you use it as a stand alone amp? I couldn't find any analog inputs. If fed by usb, isn't then the dac section used? In that case to compare its headphone out, the hp4 would have to be connected to the analog outs for comparison.
Regards

Sorry, I've written a confusing reply.

The Aune has USB and RCA input so you can switch between them. (The switch is marked 'A' and 'D'.)
The Presonus has two mono Jack plug inputs - rather strange since it needs a different type of lead to fee the signal in.

Therefore, the Presonus only has analogue inputs only.

I'm in the UK and wasn't aware of a $100 and a $160 Aune. Mine was £99. It is both USB and Analalogue. I love it!!

Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: I just checked on Ebay and indeed, it is advertised at $160. As I say, I bought mine for £99 which I thought would have been the $100 one. However, I see that there is also a USB only box. This is mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350240347903

Ian

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lettu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned HP4 for some time now and noticed exactly the same thing.

Thanks for your reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back