Presonus Firebox
Feb 14, 2007 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Mac household. I was thinking of a Firebox as a midi interface for a keyboard into garage band. I have read that it is a great external dac for a computer audio setup as well. I really need a DAC for my airport express although this does not appear feasible.

How do you hook Firebox up to the computer and the speakers? It appears to have Firewire and 1/4" plugs. Is it workable as a preamp for powered monitors? Will it work with a home amp with RCA plugs, or does it prefer pro audio gear? What is your preferred setup?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 2
Your Firebox will work great with your Mac. Unless you have a newer 17" macbook pro. The FW ports cant initialize the firebox. My Firebox works great with my 15" MBP though.....

I use my Firebox with Garageband with either my line6 pod or some sm57s to record guitar stuff. It plugs in and works really easily! I can't help you with the midi stuff though, sorry.

You just hook the firebox into the computer via the FW port! Thats it!! To hook up some RCA's to something, you can probably get some of the outputs on the back to work. Not sure how the line outputs really work, haven't tried. Or you can get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and a 1/8" to RCA adapter and hook it up from the headphone jack on the firebox. I usually use headphones to monitor so I'm really not that helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back