PreSonus Central Station: DAC/head-amp/Pre-amp [comprehensive info]
Nov 2, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #31 of 138
ok..all these positive reviews is driving me nuts..I think CS deserves another listen. I plan to take advantage of my local guitar center return policy
wink.gif

I really need a decent preamp for my VR-1 monitor...Dynahi is great as preamp..but I really want to use it to drive my cans
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #32 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ergo
Well i really haven’t noticed the 2 threads about presonus CS. I own one too for more than a year now and here are my thoughts:

-it has a quality dac and so but i think the rest is cheap. I had 4 of those at home because every time i pushed the B (speakers output) button i heard electricity sound like “bzzzzzz”. First i though my monitors had some grounding issue but that wasn’t it. It was the CS and only 1 of those 4 didn’t have the issue. I chose the one and told the seller about it. It was really annoying sound.

-it somehow isn’t compatible with NAD C542 CD player via digital out. I tried both coax and spdif and i still get peak, the real one, i almost damaged my monitors. It works well with other CD players like Teac….

-I really miss the on/off button as I have to unplug it every night.

-I figured out with TC sound help that you need an additional component to connect a sub with mono input.

-Is has totally passive headphone out, i don’t see any headphone amp. If you turn phones vol to max it will be no louder that the source (soundcard for instance).

I am most confused by your observaions. I wonder if you are connecting your gears correctly. I don't understand why speaker B output has a buzz but speaker A or C does not. And there is no reason it should not work with any CD player with digital out. Maybe your unit is brokern.

There is no such thing as passive headphone amplifiers. CS has passive preamp outputs, and two powerful headphone amplifiers. Each amplifier is in fact capable of driving K1000 and provides a lot of voltage gain, especially if you combine it with AUX input. The headphone jacks are in the front (left side), and you probably want to re-read the manual to set everything straight.

[Edit] I don't want to discount other people's opinion, but what 5ergo described sounds so surreal that I start to wonder if he actually owns one.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #33 of 138
ferbose, did you see my post right after 5ergo's?
i would just ignore what he said. how can i put this politely?
i think maybe he just woke up with a hangover when he wrote all that gibberish
smily_headphones1.gif

i wanted to make a point of this because if anyone has something negative to say that is constructive about the cs, so be it. what he said should in no way detract from the cs. so ignore it. that is in case some newbie reads this and starts counting good to bad review ratios.

music_man

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #34 of 138
Quote:

what he said should in no way detract from the cs. so ignore it.

Does that mean we should read the favourable reports and ignore the negative ones?

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #35 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman
what he said should in no way detract from the cs. so ignore it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL
Does that mean we should read the favourable reports and ignore the negative ones?

DennyL, you can't take musicman's comment out of the context like that.
Have you read the originl post by 5ergo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ergo
Is has totally passive headphone out, i don’t see any headphone amp. If you turn phones vol to max it will be no louder that the source (soundcard for instance)

I now realize 5ergo is just a thread crapper, because what he wrote made zero sense. Ha, ha, your amp sucks because it does not even have an amp, not to mention two...
very_evil_smiley.gif
(I have not seen such creative thread crapping in a long time)

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #36 of 138
Perhaps we misunderstood, what i was trying to say is that CS is a good stuff I'm actually a happy user but i'd just like to warn people that are about to buy it about some facts.
I own one for more than a year now and i know about connecting stuff.

Now about the bzzzz sound:
It was there even on A output, about 3 components had this issue but one didn't have, so i chose the one. So i believe that some parts inside CS are cheap.
I know that CS made the bzzzz sound cause if i turned off speakers on CS (A or B button) the sound was gone. I even tryed plugging it vice versa.

Well i believe that it's not compatible with NAD because NAD works well with HT receivers via digital out and presonus works well with Teac CDP via digital out.
I did check every manual to see if there's something i do wrong so i spent pretty much time trying to solve the problem, even retailers helped me.

btw i don't bother that much about using NAD via AUX insted of digital out, it's the NAD C542 CDP and it should have the same good dac as CS has.

Again i say it's a very practical unit and hard to beat for the price but do your self a favour and test it (in the store) before you buy it.

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #37 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
ferbose, did you see my post right after 5ergo's?
i would just ignore what he said. how can i put this politely?
i think maybe he just woke up with a hangover when he wrote all that gibberish
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Music_man,
You are a very bad man!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #38 of 138
i couldn't help myself haha.

no problem if someone has something bad to say about it. go right ahead. at least try to say something that makes sense.

i understand english is obviously not his first language. i was not poking fun at that. i was indeed poking fun at statements like the amp does not have an amp lol.

the buzzing? if you cannot even find the amp(in the amp) maybe you hooked something up wrong? this reminds me of the zoolander movie. ahh forget it.

music_man

Nov 5, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #39 of 138
Well it was clearly CS's fault, retailer checked it too and it was obvious. It was no grounding issue.

Anyway the point is I gave my useful experience with the CS and I don't give a damn what you think.

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #40 of 138
Quote:

i couldn't help myself haha.

Then go and get help.

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #41 of 138
Question about the preamp-if you are running an amp off the cue output, is it best to attenuate with the amp, the preamp (the CS aux output dial) or to balance both? I need to run my HR-2 and a KGSS off this thing, and want both outputs to sound about the same. Right now I have the CS at max and control the volume via the HR-2- the main and cue seem to sound about the same. Is there some sort of sound theory behind this situation?

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #43 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
i run an SI Tamp out of the "Main A" output, i keep the amp at about 1/2 and use the "main level" preamp to attenuate the sound from there, sounds great

I am not sure why, but something about maxing either of the controls makes me uncomfortable- I will play around with your idea. Thanks

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 138
running pre stages just before clipping is usually preferable. the problem is if something goes wrong you have no safety. if for some reason attenuation is accidently removed from the signal, kaboom!

audiphiles are split as to which way they handle this. personally i would rather have a little less sq and a lot more safety
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #45 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
I am not sure why, but something about maxing either of the controls makes me uncomfortable- I will play around with your idea. Thanks

yeah you can keep the SI at 1/4 ( safer ) and attenuate from there

something about that preamp tho, its so "clean" sounding its almost fun
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back