Presenting the Frankenphone.....it's alive!!!!
Mar 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dspang

100+ Head-Fier
So I had an extra set of koss ksc75's sitting around and was on the look out for a new set of phones to use with the pc. I wanted to transplant them into another enclosure of another larger headphone. So I found an old radioshack headphone radio all in one at my local thrift store. I gutted it and put the ksc75 drivers in with some foam from box packaging and came up with this................

Frankenphones

Frankenphones

As for sound they sound just as good as ever. A little light on the bass but the bass that is there is tight and controlled now. Not as much impact as there use to be. But those sparkling highs oh my goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apparently images linked from picasa web aren't working.

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 11
I have some thin foam on this headset that came stock. I just left it on there. Think something thicker should be in tow. I already have me some substantial dampening behind the drivers.

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 11
I've found that putting material in front of drivers increases low end response, you may play with that a bit

and putting heavy material behind them usually decreases said response (its touchy when you get to cup dampening), so you should play with that as well

and yes, my final verdict:
just play with it until you're happy, if you're happy now, keep rockin

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I must comment on the soundstage too. The ksc75's had a pretty good one before but now I can tell a lot better where the instruments are. Excellent metal phones now because the guitars seem to be a lot more forward. Possibly grado like?

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 11
Looks like fun, man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back