Preparing to receive my new Fiio X-1: Need recommendations on card setup, file organization
Jun 28, 2015 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kadsura

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

I am an avid classical, jazz, and ethnic music collector (along with a smattering of numerous other genres). I have several hundred CDs and LPs worth of FLAC files on my hard drives, and recently I have been fortunate enough to discover this site. Previously I converted my FLAC files to MP-3 for portable listening on my iPod Touch, but I have outgrown that (as well as iTunes). I was excited to learn that there seems to be a renaissance in DAPs these days, including of course the ability to play lossless files. 

After a bit of comparison shopping, I narrowed down my choices between the Sony A17 and one of the Fiio players. I decided to go with the Fiio X-1 for now, and if I like it, I will probably upgrade to the X-5 (2nd gen) eventually. I have read complaints about the UI and scroll wheel, so if these prove to be big issues for me, I will probably get the Sony (I have read that some people own both players and use them for different purposes). 

I am currently using Sennheiser HD-25 SPs, which I bought in 1999 for around a hundred bucks. I also own an HD-580 Jubilee set, which I haven't used in years, and whose earpads have decayed away considerably. I will probably get new pads if still available. 

Anyway, my question concerns the best way to set up the Micro SD card for my X-1 (which is set to arrive in a couple days). I have never bothered much with tags, but have meticulously organized my collection with a strict “one folder = one CD (or LP)” arrangement. Although I have well over 500 albums (as I will call them LOL), I rarely have trouble finding things with this system. I have heard that one needs to be meticulous about tags with the Fiio players, but that browsing by folder is not a problem. So, I'm hoping this system will work

On my HD, I group my music ("albums") into folders by genre: I have a "jazz" folder (about 150 CDs), a "classical by composer" folder (about 450 CDs), a "nature sounds" (ocean, rain) folder, an "electronic and experimental" folder etc. I bought a 64 GB card to start, and, from my estimate, it will hold around 200 - 250 CD's worth.

So, will I be ok to just duplicate my folder system onto the card, or will something else be a better arrangement? Can the Fiio see folders inside of folders? Do I have a potential disaster on my hands by having few or no tags?

Thanks for your help.
Kevin  

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 8
When the card and player arrives pop the card in X1 and go to "system setting" menu, there's an option to format the card to FAT32 which is what X1 needs to read 64gb, 128gb cards (it will prepare the card for you). Once the card is formatted simply hook up the player to your PC/laptop and drag n drop your files.

As long as they're transferred to the cards root menu (even folders inside folders) X1 can read them. You can of course, browse by artist, album, genre etc though honestly, I don't bother, never have and you've already mentioned you don't mind simple folder browsing systems.

Its very easy - if you need to add album art to some songs use a free program called MP3tag.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Hello and welcome to Head-Fi!

Hi, 

I am an avid classical, jazz, and ethnic music collector (along with a smattering of numerous other genres). I have several hundred CDs and LPs worth of FLAC files on my hard drives, and recently I have been fortunate enough to discover this site. Previously I converted my FLAC files to MP-3 for portable listening on my iPod Touch, but I have outgrown that (as well as iTunes). I was excited to learn that there seems to be a renaissance in DAPs these days, including of course the ability to play lossless files. 

Yes, nowadays the budget friendly DAPs are becoming better and better. I do have an X1 myself.

By the way: there is nothing wrong with high bit rate lossy formats like MP3 or AAC. Most people can't tell the difference between lossy and lossless even in controlled environments and with great audio equipment.

I am currently using Sennheiser HD-25 SPs, which I bought in 1999 for around a hundred bucks. I also own an HD-580 Jubilee set, which I haven't used in years, and whose earpads have decayed away considerably. I will probably get new pads if still available. 

Nice headphones. I used to own the HD580 (non-Jubilee) myself. The earpads and headband are the same as the ones from the HD600 and HD650, so there should be no problem finding new ones.

Anyway, my question concerns the best way to set up the Micro SD card for my X-1 (which is set to arrive in a couple days). I have never bothered much with tags, but have meticulously organized my collection with a strict “one folder = one CD (or LP)” arrangement. Although I have well over 500 albums (as I will call them LOL), I rarely have trouble finding things with this system. I have heard that one needs to be meticulous about tags with the Fiio players, but that browsing by folder is not a problem. So, I'm hoping this system will work

On my HD, I group my music ("albums") into folders by genre: I have a "jazz" folder (about 150 CDs), a "classical by composer" folder (about 450 CDs), a "nature sounds" (ocean, rain) folder, an "electronic and experimental" folder etc. I bought a 64 GB card to start, and, from my estimate, it will hold around 200 - 250 CD's worth.

So, will I be ok to just duplicate my folder system onto the card, or will something else be a better arrangement? Can the Fiio see folders inside of folders? Do I have a potential disaster on my hands by having few or no tags?

Thanks for your help.
Kevin  

If you convert everything to MP3 320kbps, you should be able to get your whole library into 64GB easily and you most likely won't notice the difference.

Everyone has his/her own way of organizing things and with my X1 and PC I do it like this: artist>album>songs. It's very easy for me to find music like this. Having it organized by genre should work as well.

Using the arrangement you are used to is the best I think. The software of the X1 is flexible enough to adapt to your needs.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 8
  When the card and player arrives pop the card in X1 and go to "system setting" menu, there's an option to format the card to FAT32 which is what X1 needs to read 64gb, 128gb cards (it will prepare the card for you). Once the card is formatted simply hook up the player to your PC/laptop and drag n drop your files.

As long as they're transferred to the cards root menu (even folders inside folders) X1 can read them. You can of course, browse by artist, album, genre etc though honestly, I don't bother, never have and you've already mentioned you don't mind simple folder browsing systems.

Its very easy - if you need to add album art to some songs use a free program called MP3tag.

The X1 easily recognizes my exFAT 128GB Samsung micro-SD card and my exFAT 64GB SanDisk micro-SD card. There is no need for formatting it to FAT-32 unless it really doesn't work with your card.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 8
The X1 easily recognizes my exFAT 128GB Samsung micro-SD card and my exFAT 64GB SanDisk micro-SD card. There is no need for formatting it to FAT-32 unless it really doesn't work with your card.

I've just looked up on this, it was only added in March 2015 v1.3 update. So you're correct, depending which firmware the OP unit is running out of the box.

It's important we mention it requires the v1.3 update to work otherwise OP may have been running hoops.

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 8
I've just looked up on this, it was only added in March 2015 v1.3 update. So you're correct, depending which firmware the OP unit is running out of the box.

It's important we mention it requires the v1.3 update to work otherwise OP may have been running hoops.

Okay, thanks for looking it up. I didn't know it was not possible till March.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks very much for the replies. I just received it and unpacked everything. The instructions say:

Charge the X1 

1. Charges in ~3 hours using DC 5V/2A adaptor (recommended)
2. Charges in over 5 hour susing computer USB port (not recommended)

I do not have the DC adapter and am eager to get going with this, so I assume it will not hurt the player to simply use method 2 until I can buy an adapter. However, I wonder what the rationale is for the "not recommended" comment. Anyone know? 

I have an adapter for my iPod Touch (2nd Generation), but I am not 100% sure I should try it in case the voltage or the specs don't line up ... Any recommendations on where to buy one? 

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 8

I do not have the DC adapter and am eager to get going with this, so I assume it will not hurt the player to simply use method 2 until I can buy an adapter. However, I wonder what the rationale is for the "not recommended" comment. Anyone know? 

I have an adapter for my iPod Touch (2nd Generation), but I am not 100% sure I should try it in case the voltage or the specs don't line up ... Any recommendations on where to buy one? 

Thanks!

All USB-chargers are 5V, so that should never be a problem. If the Fiio X1 can have up to 2A, any USB-charger should be good. The USB-ports of your PC are also 5V, but those are probably less than 1.5A. Therefore it takes longer for your Fiio to charge and that is why charging with your USB-port it is "not recommended".

If you still have doubts, look at the output current of your iPod adapter. If it's below 2A it should be good. All adapters have the specs printed on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back