Preparing for the inevitable: DAP recommendation
Mar 31, 2015 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RRod

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm preparing for the inevitable death of my iPod Classic, so I figured it's a good time to look into DAPs. I'm looking for something with the following features; any suggestions (phone suggestions are welcome too)?

Capacity: > 128G
Output impedance: < 3ohm
Output power: 30+mW @ 32ohm
Outputs: Line-out and/or digital out
Processing: Crossfeed available (hardware / DSP); good EQ welcome; functionality via software installs is ok
Formats: nothing special; any support for high-bitrate lossy
Interface: Quick searching by artist/album; hold-switch functionality

That's probably too good a start already. Any help appreciated!

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Overall budget?

And have you looked at the usual suspects? FiiO X3/X5 and iBasso DX50/DX90.

I didn't see any mention of crossfeed ability/potential for those. I want it to serve as both my portable DAP and as a source to plug into my speaker receiver. I'd like crossfeed for headphone use, but don't want to have to hard-code it into the files, because then it messes up the sound signature for speaker use (this is my current dilemma with the iPod). Budget can be up to $1k if no other unit will fit the bill, but more like $500 would be nice.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 12
I know the DX50 can take rockbox open source firmware, which I believe normally has crossfeed on it (double check).

I can look into it, though something with native abilities would be nice. I guess another option is a portable amp with crossfeed; just wish everything just ran Linux and I could throw what I use on my home PC on it ^_^

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 12
If you like Linux, you'll appreciate Rockbox
smily_headphones1.gif

Wish my iPod was < gen 6 so I could play around with it first 
frown.gif
 Looking at the manual, it looks like I could simulate the settings I use in bs2b pretty easily. Damn you technology! Also it says the support for the iBasso is incomplete, but I can search the list and see if anything else could work. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm using Rockbox on my DX50. Seems to work fine. You might want to check out the DX50 Rockbox thread if you have any questions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/709855/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx50-dual-boot-with-stock-firmware

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm using Rockbox on my DX50. Seems to work fine. You might want to check out the DX50 Rockbox thread if you have any questions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/709855/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx50-dual-boot-with-stock-firmware

If it works for you then it works! The player certainly meets the specs besides the crossfeed, so if I can get that with rockbox then it sounds like what I need.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 12
If it works for you then it works! The player certainly meets the specs besides the crossfeed, so if I can get that with rockbox then it sounds like what I need.

I don't know about the crossfeed. I have not checked to see if that will work. But you can ask in that thread :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Probably a minority here, but I love the sound of my cowon x9. Got a chance to compare it to the fiio x3 gen 1 and it totally smoked it. A lot clearer and blacker background. Has a horrible interface though and limited to 8,000 songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back