Preparing for Latest Tweaks
Sep 1, 2001 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by FunkeHomosapien
How does EMI interference change the sound of your equipment? Does it cause hiss? Or does it somehow distort the sound?

RFI seems to be much more variable in terms of its sound in my experience. Can cause graininess, particularly in the highs if really bad, and/or come through as background hiss or even the sound of radio (as in news/talk/music).

My experience with placment in fields of high EMI is audible hum. Funny thing is it's not always 60 Hz hum, which I expected, but sometimes higher (never lower). Placement of audio components (particularly ones not well shielded) near sources of high EMI also obscures finer details and the all-important sense of air to my ears, even if there is not hum audible when music is playing -- so I'm guessing that the EMI can sometimes be inaudible alone, but affecting the signal as it passes through.

Sep 1, 2001 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
Yep...the Denon-370 is ok...except for the LCD display...course i haven't opened it up to really test it. My power amp is ok except for the massive toroidal transformer.

I haven't measured the DCM-370's LCD display -- I'll do that though.

My 333 has a display that you can turn off during playback, which I generally do. I have measured for EMI/RFI from my 333's flourescent display, but have picked up nothing. But, though I'm not measuring any changes in AC magnetic field, I do pick up changes in AC electric field (measured in kilovolt/m) when I turn the display on/off -- I can't, however, get a precise measurement, because AC electric field ambient measurements are too high to get a good base measurement for the difference, but turning on and off the display does clearly move the needle on the TriField Broadband Meter.

And yes, Tim, what comes off of big transfomers is pretty remarkable. But the dissipation with distance is very quick, so a couple/few inches away in any direction can almost always solve things. Look inside a well-designed component, and you'll see how the designers generally set the big transformer(s) away from everything else.

Sep 1, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 21
Even if you have all those nifty meters...I think you should try out the portable AM tuner...that way you really look like a headphone geek since you actually are listening to the interference instead of looking at needles move.

And walls definitely can carry a lot of interference especially with cabling. Again easily revealed by portable AM tuner. I can't wait til everyone out there walks around rooms with an AM tuner and headphones so they REALLY get strange looks. Or even better, crawling around the neighborhood...

Course this ain't a gag, if you really want I'll reference FCC.

http://www.fcc.gov/cib/consumerfacts/interference.html

And you all thought Jude was crazy!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
And you all thought Jude was crazy!
biggrin.gif

THOUGHT??!?!!
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 21
... back from Radio Shack, almost bought an AM receiver...

...just kidding
biggrin.gif

They do have 99Cent plastic cable holders though, and I think if you wanna seperate the cables they would do just as well.

Besides, jude: Whatever makes you happy is good for you!
And if you feel like getting a sandbox for your
power conditioner, you'll have my support
smily_headphones1.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Sep 1, 2001 at 9:26 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Redwoood
[BThey do have 99Cent plastic cable holders though, and I think if you wanna seperate the cables they would do just as well.[/B]

$0.99 plastic cable holders just isn't in the spirit of what I was thinking. I meant screwing in like four of these types of things into the wall:

Insulator.jpg

But I think the one in the pic is too big (actually, I think it's huge). So I have to try to find the right size. Or I could go with porcelain roller-type insulators like this:

Insulator_2.jpg

Anyway, I'll see what I can find. If nothing, then maybe the plastic thingies. But only then!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back