preloaded mp3 players?
Aug 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

canali1

New Head-Fier
I don't have either a laptop or hardrive (my work station has security patches)..so wish to get rid of my portable CD player for a more versatile great sounding mp3 player (looking at new zune hd next month_ or even cheaper sandisk clip or fuse) ...but any suggestions for other services or shops or quality preloaded players to get the music I want?

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Well, Sandisk has the "SlotRadio" thing.

Aside from that i don't know what to tell you. You're basically talking about buying all your music again or paying someone to rip it. A laptop a year or two old will be cheaper.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 10
The SlotPlayer isn't all that great (and neither is the Phillips one) since it's pre-selected music in different genres (or a single one) and not all the tracks may be suitable for your tastes. Not to mention, you'll flop down $20 or more on one.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 10
biggrin.gif
FM radio:
+cheap(est)
+no hassle of copying music, media, computers, etc
+live OTA streaming music anytime you want
-may not play the exact music you want in a given time

Or, if you have wifi access, iPod Touch + free Pandora app.

If your source are your own CDs, there are CD-ripping services that will rip your CDs, and some can pre-load your player with the music (usually iPods), but they're expensive and imo not worth it. Just buy a cheap netbook with an external DVD drive, and rip the CDs yourself.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you thought about minidisc? You can transfer your cds to minidisc without computers with the equipment.

Players that have line-in recording capability (eg. Cowon players) can do the same job without being stuck with a dead-end format on abandoned media.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Players that have line-in recording capability (eg. Cowon players) can do the same job without being stuck with a dead-end format on abandoned media.

But minidisc can encode on the fly from optical out from a cd player. Which would result in a higher quality end result than just line in

Also read up on HD radio on the ZUNE HD for a source of music on the go

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 10
I suggested it elsewhere, and I'll do the same here: There's no reason or excuse to NOT own a computer in some form or fashion nowadays. Buy 1, do your own rips, and sync your player. What you want doesn't exist in a decent form or fashion ATM.

BTW: The Fuze, now that the FW has been updated, plays the SlotMusic cards that Sandisk sells. That's as close as you'll get ATM. Unless, you keep on using a cd player.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SlotPlayer isn't all that great (and neither is the Phillips one) since it's pre-selected music in different genres (or a single one) and not all the tracks may be suitable for your tastes. Not to mention, you'll flop down $20 or more on one.

You can use SlotRadio cards in the fuze, not that i would ever buy SlotRadio cards.

My opinion is still that the OP should just lump it and buy a cheap computer to do their own encoding.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But minidisc can encode on the fly from optical out from a cd player. Which would result in a higher quality end result than just line in

You're assuming his portable CD player actually has optical out. Most of them don't, thus analog line-in recording is much more flexible. Besides, MD is a dead end format, and has been abandoned by Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back