Preliminary Impressions of the New 2006 Total BitHead
Apr 7, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #16 of 20
Are the two headphone outputs individually driven, or is it just an internal splitter?

Also, repeating a previous (unanswered) question above, what are the dimensions?

I'm thinking about using it with the line output of a 5G iPod and with my computer (USB) dro[omg an HD-650.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #17 of 20
No time for a lot of comment just now, but so far I can say that the Total Bithead is *extremely* well made, and a very simple plug and play substitute for a laptop internal or PMCIA soundcard. Mine is black. The HeadRoom guys were extremely helpful and pleasant. It took awhile for them to give me a price using the e-mail feature on the website; I suggest calling them instead. Once I called, all e-mail questions were answered in a matter of seconds, and I had quite a few. I ordered on 3/31 and they got it to me on 4/6.

The Total BitHead is just about exactly the same size and shape as a Blackberry handheld device, although slightly heavier w/batteries.

I'm using it with brand new K-701's, so I need some burn in time before I can do much comparison evaluation.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be comparing the Total BitHead to the Xin Super Micro III using either computer or I Pod Nano as source, and the K-701's or E4C's for phones.

I love all of my new toys, but I need more time to develop and articulate my impressions of the various setups. ( I was listening to shoddy 128kbps mp3's via an Audigy 2 ZS PMCIA card and Triports or worse a mere 2 months ago, so I need to chill awhile and learn).

So far, the only purchase I regret post-Triport is the Shure E3c's; the E4C's are an order of magnitude better IMO even unamped, and the improvement in SQ is disproportional to the moderat increase in price.

The E4c's sound superb; the E3c's are just good at producing clear vocals. When you compare them running through the Xin Micro III on a Nano, the difference is absolutely stunning. I haven't compared the IEM's through the BitHead, and probably won't bother unless someone wants me to. It took about 3 seconds to realize that I have absolutely no further use for the E3c's; my 14 year old son is about to get a freebie upgrade from stock Ipod buds (and an audigy 2 ZS for that matter). Perhaps he'll take care of me when I'm old, deaf and broke due to Head-Fi addiction
smily_headphones1.gif

I also ordered a high-end mini to mini from Alex at WyvernAudio.com; an 8" A-8. I want to create a near "perfect" Nano-based portable audio system, so I went nuts on the cable too. Once I get it, I'll post comments on the cable forum. Since I already raised the subject here, however, let me just say that Alex at Wyvern is a *very* nice guy who obviously knows and cares a great deal about hi fidelity sound. He's a fellow headfi'er, but I don't remember his Head-Fi handle at the moment.

Now, I wonder how much longer I can avoid looking at my credit card statement....Denial is such a useful defense against rational behavior.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 20
Another question to add to the list...
I am very interested in the BitHead as well. I also expect to get a dedicated DAC at some point in the near future to use with my computer, so Im wondering if I could still use the Bithead along with a seperate DAC? I believe that the BH functions as both a DAC and an amp, but can I use it only as an amp if i get the seperate dac?
Would it still work this way? And if I intend to get a dac soon, should I focus my attention on an amp only (with no dac component)?
Thanks for the help.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #19 of 20
The bithead will operate either using USB input, or as a fully analogue amp through a 1/8" input jack. It can draw power from USB or from batteries, and can still draw power from USB when operating as an analogue only device. When I owned the bithead, I used it sometimes with a standalone DAC, sometimes with my iPod and sometimes through it's own internal DAC. I found that flexibility to be worth the extra $50, even if you are still considering an external DAC.

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlarn
Another question to add to the list...
I am very interested in the BitHead as well. I also expect to get a dedicated DAC at some point in the near future to use with my computer, so Im wondering if I could still use the Bithead along with a seperate DAC? I believe that the BH functions as both a DAC and an amp, but can I use it only as an amp if i get the seperate dac?
Would it still work this way? And if I intend to get a dac soon, should I focus my attention on an amp only (with no dac component)?
Thanks for the help.

The Total BitHead would definitely work as an amp-only if you had a new separate DAC, but I suspect if you get a better DAC you are going to want a better amp to go with it than the amp in the BitHead. I am quite sure that is what would happen to me. The BitHead's strongsuit based on my limited, initial impression is it's compact versatility. There are better amps out there, and there are better DACS (which is why I almost bought the Headroom Micro Stack instead of the Bit Head).

Now that I have the Bit Head, I doubt I'll ever want to get rid of it; it's too convenient for laptop as source. I will probably upgrade to the stack before too long, but I am pretty sure I will keep the BitHead for travel.

I'm not going to make that jump tomorrow or anything; I think I've done quite enough spending for one month.

Just a longwinded way of saying I love the BitHead as much for it's design, construction, and ease of use as I do for the SQ improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back