Preliminary Asus Xonar test @ vr-zone
Jul 21, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Looking at the test setup I don't see how they can make any real value judgements on any of the soundcards truthfully.

First off there is the noise of the power supplies, video card fans & CPU fans sitting right on the desktop. Then there is the poor choice of speakers which the BX5's though sounding quite neutral tonally have a soundstage that is as flat & 2 dimentional as a cardboard prop image is compared to a real person (at least stock that is as I actually own a pair that I have modified to fix that very issue while still retaining neutrallity). I'm sorry but multimedia speakers don't cut it either for value judgements.

To me thier test setup tells me the test of the soundcards is a complete waste of time in which no meaningfull conclusions can be made of any of the soundcards especially signal to noise due to all the extranious noise setting right on the desktop though the setup may look impressive.

It is amazing to me that they can with a straight face tell me that a soundcards S/N ratio is justified upon listening to a setup with so much noise being produced right on the desktop.

By the way, I'm not normally this outraged about anything but if you are going to do a test of something soundwise, the testbed should be up to the challenge by not intruding so much of its own noise into the mix.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the test setup I don't see how they can make any real value judgements on any of the soundcards truthfully.

Well, it was just a quick preliminary test. But if they do the same thing for the final tests/review, they'll have no excuse.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Maybe I was being a little harsh in which case I'm sorry. By the way I was not commenting against any of the cards in question as they all seem to be high grade just the test setup is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back