PreHead vs. HR-2?
Mar 9, 2004 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WindyCityCy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between these 2 amps as an uprgrade to my Corda HA1 MKII. I've done lots of reading on the forum and was curious if anyone has gone down a similar path and compared the HR-2 to the PreHead. One reason I want an amp is for watching movies late at night while my wife is asleep, but the main is for music. The PreHead would allow me to connect both sources (CD/DVD player and VCR - soon to be a DVR) directly to the PreHead for headphone listening. Both sources would also be connected to a Rotel RSP-985 pre-amp (which has no headphone out) for normal home theater listening through the 2nd outs on the sources. Whereas the HR-2 would require me to connect it to the tape-out of my HT pre-amp (Rotel RSP-985) in order to switch sources (I believe this will work but I have not tried it with my current headamp - maybe someone has tried this setup and can comment). Of course I could always keep my Corda HA1 MKII and connect it to the Rotel tape-out and get the HR-2 and connect it directly to the CD/DVD player. This is my dilemma. Just looking for thoughts on the 2 amps and how they compare, how in the world to make-up my mind, and what you might do in my situation. This decision is driving me crazy (damn this forum for obsoleting everything I buy) ... just kidding ... what else would I do with my time!

Another thing I might consider is using the PreHead as a PreAmp for an office/den stereo setup later when we move to a larger house. I could see a setup including an amp, monitor speakers, CDP, and the PreHead as the control center. This would provide both speaker and headphone options. How would the PreHead perform in this capacity? This might be my last headphone amp/preamp for awhile.

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I considered both these amps and though I've not listened to either, I decided to order the HR-2. I don't know if I've made the right decision but here was my rationale after reading as much as I could on this forum:
1)Nobody really had to much negative to say about either unit. The Prehead seems much better suited as a preamp and offers crossfeed.
2)There just seemed to be a bit more "excitement" around the HR-2 and I only plan to use it as a headphone amp. I'm not sure if I'll miss the crossfeed or not.
3) Many experienced HeadFiers seem to have an HR-2 in their arsenal.
4) After speaking w/ Ray Samuels on the phone I just couldn't resist giving him my business. He seems like such a nice man and spent alot of time answering my stupid questions. He really seems to know his stuff and I also really like the idea of the separate power supply.
Maybe I'm nuts ordering something this expensive w/out an audition but I barely have time to research this stuff online let alone do lengthy A/B comparisons w/ several amps. I just tried to make an informed decision based on what I could read. My conversation w/ Ray gave me alot of confidence that I'll enjoy the amp. He was very enthusiastic but never pushy. He also offers the opportunity to return it if I'm not happy. Somehow I don't see this happening.

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Although I've not listened to the Prehead, I had a chance to live with the Corda HA-2 for 2 weeks. Some folks - allegedly even Jan himself - say that the HA-2 and Prehead are sonically indistinguishable. If so, the Prehead would be one fine amp indeed. However, comparing the HR-2 with the Corda HA-2, I came down with the HR-2. This does not mean that the HA-2 is inferior. Its really a matter of personal taste. I liked the HR-2's sonic signature more than the HA-2.

However, if you want an amp that doubles as a preamp, the Prehead would fit the bill perfectly. The HR-2 only has one set of line-in jacks and its separate power supply - which has the power cord on one end and a chord attached to the main unit on the other - might make your rig look a bit untidy.

If you could afford to put a temporary downpayment for both the HR-2 and Prehead, Todd should be more than happy to let you check out both amps for yourself. IMO, this is the best way to make your purchase decision.

Here's a link to some of my - and others' comments - on the HR-2.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=&pagenumber=1

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back