Prehead or Emmeline HR2 for CD3000?
Jan 14, 2004 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Xeno7651

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my Headsave Ultra to either a Prehead or an Emmeline HR2 to use with the CD3000s. I listen to almost everything, mainly dance/trance and pop, some classical, jazz, and rock. The amp will be connected to a Meridian 508.24 through Virtual Dynamics Reference interconnects. I have read various comments and reviews of both amps but still somewhat undecided. Has anyone tried the CD3000s with both these amps? Which of the two amps has better synergy with the CD3000s?

Cheers

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 30
I have heard both of them with the Sony's for quite some period of time. Both amps are excellent and sound very good with the CD-3000's. There are the slightest of differences in the "voice" or overall tonal quality and it really boils down to pure personal preference IMO. I would guess that the people that like each would be fairly equally divided as they are so close. Sorry I am not of more help but no matter which one you choose you should be happy.

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 30
Not to go too off topic here, but unless you specifically need the preamp function of the PreHead why not go for the HA-2? It is about 90%+ of the PreHead, but a couple hundred $$ less. If you need all the extra ins and outs it will be a necessity, otherwise the extra money would go nicely into new music to enjoy with the new amp. I doubt you need this since the HR-2 is your other option, so that's why I brought it up.

Jan 16, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 30
Have you ever consider the Perreaux SXH-1 or a PPA? They are a lot cheaper and both performs beautifully with the CD3000, you won't need more IMO, and will save some serious bucks for any other serious future upgrades....

Jan 16, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 30
Thanks guys for your input. I have just purchased the HR-2 and can't wait to try it out in my system. Having read mjg's comments regarding the two amps, I somehow feel that I may like the HR-2 more, but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with either one.

john_jcb,
Seeing that you also have a Meridian, my system will sound similar to yours. Is it a Meridian 508 that you have, or is it a 507? Is there a difference in sound quality that you can detect?

ServinginEcuador,
I didn't need the preamp feature, and was quite curious about the HR-2 for some time, so I decided to give it a shot.

Sovkiller,
I was considering the PPA. If I got the PPA, I would still be curious about the Prehead or HR-2 and will upgrade again. So why not go straight for the top and prevent the itch of upgrading for a while.

Jan 16, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 30
Upgrade??? A LaRocco PPA is considered a piece of lab, and runs about the same price of both the Prehead and HR-2 (if not more), and the performance is considered by some members as very close, if not better, and now the new buffers are coming, do what you want, but I will suggest you, not to follow the hype, sometimes you go wrong with that, I went at least in two times wrong, so on that at least trust me, hearing is believing here.....
OTOH the Perreaux/PPA and CD3000 combos are magic....I have never heard the same about the others, to sound good is one thing, and to be magic is another, remember that not because one piece of gear is more expensive or consider this or that, with other headphones, they will do justice to the CD3000, maybe with other cans DT880, HD600 is different, but with the CD3000, I should be more careful, as the Prehead is not returnable, so at least with this one I suggest you to find out first...and if possible try it, in a meeting or whatever....just my two cents

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 30
Congratulations Xeno!!!

Let us know how the HR-2 sounds with your Sony's
biggrin.gif
I'm sure they will be great!

Gord SW Ont.
3000smile.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 30
Sovkiller,
I'm definately not buying a certain amp because of hype, plus the Prehead and HR-2 have been around for a while. I will post my impressions once the HR-2 arrives. Also, the Prehead and HR-2 will have a higher resale value. Just curious, have you heard the Prehead or HR-2 with the CD3000s? How do you know they are not better than the PPA or Perreaux?

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Xeno7651
Sovkiller,
I'm definately not buying a certain amp because of hype, plus the Prehead and HR-2 have been around for a while. I will post my impressions once the HR-2 arrives. Also, the Prehead and HR-2 will have a higher resale value. Just curious, have you heard the Prehead or HR-2 with the CD3000s? How do you know they are not better than the PPA or Perreaux?

Maybe I should get th Prehead and we can listen to them together....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
<===== we live so close.....

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Maybe I should get th Prehead and we can listen to them together....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
<===== we live so close.....

Go for it Daniel
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 30
Are you sure that it's hype surrounding the Prehead and HR-2? Perhaps they are both just great performing solid state amps. To count them out on the account that someone hasn't associated the word 'magic' with it is absurd. That is a higly subjective appraisal isn't it?

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 30
I'm not trying to be an ass here, but Sovkiller, have you ever heard either the Prehead or the HR-2? It's a serious question, as I don't know the answer.

But, considering you are willing to say that the PPA is "magic" with the CD3000 and the other two are not, I would expect that you have had a significant amount of experience with all three, no?

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
OTOH the Perreaux/PPA and CD3000 combos are magic....I have never heard the same about the others

That is what I said, read again, not that according to my experience with all of them, I know some members that does have heard all of them, and do not like those combos as much as the other two, anyway that were just my two cents, (a suggestion) is up to you, if you want to spend a lot more or not, just to figure out, without having tried the other two, is wise to begin with the less expensive and returnable ones, I was just trying to save some of your money, but at the end, this money is not mine....but don't be so sure neither that spending more money will stop you, nor that those becasue are more expensive are an "upgrade" or "better" paired with the CD3000...without having heard the other two cheaper in question, this apply both ways... there was a withdraw right now on the for sale forum, for a Perreaux, becasue the owner do not liked the XP-7 better (with the HD600).....again just my two cents...take it or leave it....is not my money....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Just readthe last two posts here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...017#post646017

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 30
Xeno,

I don't blame you for your decision at all, i anticipate you will be real happy! If your a music mutt like me, then it becomes difficult (i like different stuff at different times, and my benchmark dac1/prehead combo is electronic music dream come true I feel) the Rock and roll stuff i like doesn't sound as a propriate, but thats where the emmeline hr2 comes in. The amp really rocks : ] As far as cd3000/prehead... Well I spent a good 5 months on them(cd3k), and I don't believe in speculation, but these 2 are either a hit or miss together. The cd3000 are so detailed, yet edge towards bright... prehead is just a mean son of a bitch who wants perfection, and can sound edgy a bit without it. I found the cd3000 best with the hr2 because I think it subdued the cd3000's tendancies, and offered a good balance.

Enjoy the hr2 man, It is a great amp will server well. All this hype stuff you can ignore btw, in the end you just buy what you feel like anyways... Hype can only influence your decision so much, in the end there are other reasons that help you make the decision (could be the look of the amp, or how shiny it is i don't know). You do as you feel, and it does have great resale value ATM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back