Prehead any good?
May 21, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 4
Superbly. Mine has replaced an Exposure 21 preamp, and is used with an Exposure 4DR power amp. As well as being an astoundingly good headphone amp - certainly the best I have heard - it is an amazingly good preamp, with an excellent ability to reproduce - accurately, and without euphonic colourations - tonal colour and dynamics. The Prehead is in my opinion one of the great bargains in hi fi.

May 23, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 4
I've only heard the PreHead as a headamp but I asked the same question some time ago and was told it was excellent. The only caveat I heard was that it was on the "analytical/sterile" side. This is a bit of an overstatement but I can't remember the exact wording. The overwhelming opinion at that time was that it was very detailed and competent as a pre. Unfortunately, I never got to hear it as a pre but just thought I would share this heresay info as I had asked the same question some time ago. I ended up buying a Stealth for my pre duties. I'd say that as a headphone amp, the PreHead has a slight edge even though it's a bit apples/oranges. I love SS and tube designs and think they are both great products, each w/ their strengths.
Good luck,
CPW

May 23, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32
How does the Corda Prehead perform as a preamp?

About 2 weeks ago I had the chance to hear my Prehead as a preamp and to compare it to a modded Yamaha preamp.
The PreHead sucks!
But I thing it's one of the best headphone amps.
In fact it is the only amp I've ever had.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back