Preferred Tubes For WA7?
Sep 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ssimonvii

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone.  I've been skimming through various threads and noticed that there aren't any threads specifically discussing preferences between the Sovtek 6C45 and upgraded Harmonix 6C45 tubes.  I've only had my WA7 (paired with my HD800s) for a week now and think I am going to stick with the Sovtek tubes.  I feel like the Harmonix is a little easier on the ears, however, I feel like I lost a bit of the detail that I am enjoying with the WA7.  I'm a little surprised this is the case as I expected to enjoy the upgraded tubes more.

I'm still pretty new to the head-fi scene so maybe my analysis doesn't make sense :), but would love to hear what tubes you guys are sticking with for your headphones and why.  

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 5
A search landed me here. Have you heard any more on this? I have the stock tubes and wondering about upgrading tubes. I'd considered the HDVD 800 to pair with my Sennheiser HD 800 headphones, but probably going to stick with WA7 for now (I've had some mobile phone interference issues, but they appear to have lessened with burn in, knock on wood).

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 5
HD 800s were awful with a solid state amp but once I paired them with the warmth of the wa7 and wa7tp it really tamed the sound. I rarely used the hd800s otherwise but tubes were meant for those cans! heavenly vocals!

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 5
I did replace the tubes in both the wa7 and wa7tp, I believe there was a thread on here where a guy reviewed all sorts of tubes and I picked the top choice he recommended. I wasn't disappointed! However I did have my wa7 stock with The Electro Harmonix Gold-Pin tubes and loved them to pieces too! every small upgrade made the wa7 a real giant killer which I bitterly regret selling! Not to mention that glass, the aesthetics were simply stunning and an early morning listening session with those tubes glowing will always be fondly remembered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back