Preferred MP3 encoding bitrate/settings
May 24, 2011 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xkfow

New Head-Fier
I am going overseas and am about to pack all my CD's away into storage for what will probably be several years.

I am planning to re-rip a bunch of my CD's at higher quality to ensure when I get around to getting even better headphones I am not annoyed at the sound quality.

I am wondering if I upgrade from a sub $200 pair of headphones to a $300 or $400 pair of headphones, am I going to be likely to be able to tell the difference between a 256 and 320kbs mp3 file? How about using variable bit rate?

Currently I rip all my stuff using fairly standard settings to the lame encoder at 192kbs.

While I am no "audiophile" I can certainly tell the difference between an mp3 encoded at 128kbs to one encoded at 192kbs, any higher than this I am not sure it makes a difference with the headphones I currently own.

May 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 4
when i did some ABX tests, i couldn't tell the difference between 320k, 256k and 192k. i couldn't believe it, but i could not reliably guess which was which.

but just to be safe, i still will encode at 320k for classical, and 256k for rock, jazz, etc.

BUT i was not listening with $300-400 headphones. i was using Grado SR80s and Sennheiser HD 555s.

May 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmm it appears that it is not possible to edit the poll. According to the site I found via google (below), V0 is roughly the equivalent to 245kbs which is the same as the lame "--preset extreme". Perhaps I should just stick with that. I have enough space issues on my iPhone as it is :)

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back