Preferred Lossless Format: FLAC or WAV
Aug 12, 2007 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

oak3x

500+ Head-Fier
Ok...I admit, I am quite confused...sorry
frown.gif

While this Poll is confusing, I am probably more confused about transferring my cds to DAP (via FLAC).

Question 1 - Will I need to use the software which comes supplied with my DAP (iAudio 7), to import the music to my player in the final step?

Question 2 - What is the next step after using the EAC Program? (ex. after EAC, does the file now need to be coded for FLAC via with another program?)

Question 3 - In the most simple of basics, that is the order of operation to get the music from my CD's to my DAP:

For example (which is probably wrong)

CD to EAC to iAudio Supplied Software to DAP (iAudio 7 player)

or...

CD to EAC to FLAC encoder to iAudio Supplied Software to DAP

You see where my confusion is...please guide me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Questions:

1. Is the one big benefit of FLAC, the savings in file size?
2. Is WAV much easier to convert, in terms of a simple process?
3. For FLAC conversion, do most people use EAC or CD-DA Extractor

1. Yes. The only benefit. A drawback is that FLAC has to be decoded which takes some CPU time.
2. FLAC is really easy to convert if you use Foobar to do so. There are enough other programs which make converting easy enough.
3. I don't know what most people use. I am using EAC just for the extraction. By then I've got some FLACs. If I want to convert those to something else I use Foobar.

Edit:

A link to a guide which shows how to use EAC and FLAC.

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they way the poll works i couldnt answer two options, flac and eac. needs to be two polls maybe!?!

Same problem here,
I use FLAC and EAC

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they way the poll works i couldnt answer two options, flac and eac. needs to be two polls maybe!?!

Not only that, but FLAC and .wav are not the only lossless options, and EAC and CD-DA Extractor are not the only options for ripping and/or converting to FLAC. The poll really doesn't seem very useful.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 32
This is the dumbest poll ever. Why don't you just ask a question?

Oh and I use EAC and FLAC. There are tons of tutorials on the web for using both. Do a search.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 32
Ok...I admit, I am quite confused...sorry
frown.gif

While this Poll is confusing, I am probably more confused about transferring my cds to DAP (via FLAC).

Question 1 - Will I need to use the software which comes supplied with my DAP (iAudio 7), to import the music to my player in the final step?

Question 2 - What is the next step after using the EAC Program? (ex. after EAC, does the file now need to be coded for FLAC via with another program?)

Question 3 - In the most simple of basics, that is the order of operation to get the music from my CD's to my DAP:

For example (which is probably wrong)

CD to EAC to iAudio Supplied Software to DAP (iaudio 7 player)

Thanks

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 32
Are you sure you can hear the difference between flac and a high quality lossy format, when played on your dap? You might just be wasting space! I listen to my dap mostly on the plane, so there's a lot of ambient noise. No point in using flac!

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmourik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you can hear the difference between flac and a high quality lossy format, when played on your dap? You might just be wasting space! I listen to my dap mostly on the plane, so there's a lot of ambient noise. No point in using flac!

I am currently using an IPOD / I-TUNES and transferring music via AAC 320. Using my Etymotic ER-4P's, I want to get the "best possible" reproduction from my CD's

I just ordered the iAudio 7 (which is on it's way). Now, I am trying to understand the whole FLAC format, and the basics of transferring.

I am not sure if I will be able to hear the difference. In reading alot of the posts, most people feel that the IPOD is not the best choice for Sound Quality (SQ).

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 32
I ripped all my CDs to flac, mostly with EAC, lately with dbPoweramp. Then I use dbPoweramp to transcode from flac to whatever format I want on my dap. I did some comparisons, using Foobar with the abx plugin, and found out I can't distinguish between flac and mid-to-high bitrate mp3/wma/aac when using my laptop. So I transcoded everything to Nero aac so it all fits on my Zune :)

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

I ripped all my CDs to flac, mostly with EAC, lately with dbPoweramp. Then I use dbPoweramp to transcode from flac to whatever format I want on my dap. I did some comparisons, using Foobar with the abx plugin, and found out I can't distinguish between flac and mid-to-high bitrate mp3/wma/aac when using my laptop. So I transcoded everything to Nero aac so it all fits on my Zune :)

Since the iAudio accepts FLAC as a format...can't I simply transfer from EAC (or dbPoweramp) directly to my iAudio 7?

or...

Do I need to first transfer from EAC to the iAudio 7 Supplied Software...to get it on the player?

Thanks

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 32
I rip everything to wav - mainly because hdd's are cheap and I don't use a portable player. I rip everything using WMP11.

I have tried foobar, eac and the others and mp3 at various rates. The only time I have noticed a drop in sound quality is if I use iTunes or mp3 below 192. So I could store my music using less space, but choose not to bother.

BTW I really like WMP11. (I'll don my asbestos suit
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the iAudio accepts FLAC as a format...can't I simply transfer from EAC (or dbPoweramp) directly to my iAudio 7?

If you can mount the iAudio as a drive, then yes, you could. But does all your music fit in 8G flac? Just my Steely Dan and Donald Fagen CDs take about 4G in Flac!

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

If you can mount the iAudio as a drive, then yes, you could. But does all your music fit in 8G flac? Just my Steely Dan and Donald Fagen CDs take about 4G in Flac!

I thought you can get approximately 12 cds in 4gb via FLAC? Thus, the 8gb would yield 20-25 CD's

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 32
Yeah, I probably average 200~250Mb per album (like Steely Dan, with about 8 songs per album).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back