Preferred burn-in strategy?
Jun 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MinotaurUK

New Head-Fier
Greetings all,

Is there a "preferred" method for burning in audio equipment? I had a new pair of headphones arrive today and I have a new amp arriving at the end of the week. I'd quite like to get as much burn-in time in on the headphones as soon as possible.

Obviously I can just leave the cans playing a random playlist 24/7 at normal listening volume. Is this the best approach? Or should I be increasing the volume significantly above comfortable listening volume?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 8
I followed the advice of Tekton speaker builder/designer Eric Alexander, and set up a set of speakers I needed to break in facing each other, about 1/4" apart, threw a blanket over them to muffle the sound, and ran pink noise through them non-stop for 48 hours. These weren't even Eric's speakers, but it seems to have worked well. For headphones, I guess I'd put them around a small pillow instead of my head and do the same thing.

Eric's Fostex-based single driver speakers have normal break-in times of more like 200 hours. I'm guessing the pink noise is faster because it contains the full audio spectrum, so you're playing all the frequencies, all the time. I got my pink noise on the internet, downloaded it and played it through iTunes. If you don't have a computer audio set-up you'll need to find a test cd somewhere with pink noise, or hook up an FM tuner find some nice, full static and let 'er rip. A reasonable facsimile thereof, I hear.

Tim

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 8
I use Purist Audio Design "System Enhancer rev-b" for burn in purposes. The new version is supposedly even better System Enhancer I found that running the disc at a moderate volume level for 12 hours and then switching to a CD with low bass, vocals and extended highs for another 100 hours does the trick for me.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Music of course! But in the off-time when I'm not listening, I use a pink/white noise cycle at slightly above normal listening level. I got the tracks from this site Michael Knowles: Extras
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 8
I use Burningwave generator.
white signal is better than Pink, because all ffrequences aen't equalized as in pink noise.
it's much agressif for headphone, but great for amp.
an adapted load instead of an headphone on the output of the amp is Silence and more efficiently (time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back