Prednisone - increase muscle size?
Apr 24, 2006 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ryanhayn

100+ Head-Fier
anyone out there with a medical background? i'm on a 5 day dose of prednisone, 20mg/3 times a day. i was just wondering if this type of oral steroid would cause an increase in muscle mass like them illegal bodybuilding steroids. anyone know? if not, why?

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 18
Prednisone is a glucocorticoid steroid, not an anabolic steroid. Steroid just refers to a biochemical structure. Usually people take prednisone to suppress their immune system in an autoimmune type disease or inflammatory disease.

Prednisone actually causes muscle breakdown and makes you fat. Probably not a 5 day dose though.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn
anyone out there with a medical background? i'm on a 5 day dose of prednisone, 20mg/3 times a day. i was just wondering if this type of oral steroid would cause an increase in muscle mass like them illegal bodybuilding steroids. anyone know? if not, why?

NOT All steroids are created equal...flonase and nasonex (for nasal allergies...belive it or not are also considered steroids)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroids

My better half used to take them... side effects? Jerry Lewis...yuppers...Predisone will make you bloat and get chunky like the Good Year Blimp... He takes them for Eczema (the severe type) and you WILL get severe mood swings...

It is NOT a plesant drug to take and I don't know why you are taking it...but it will make you BIG (=lardy) and bit*hy...

Please do not confuse this with the anabolic steroids (androstene, testasterone)...

If you want natural supplements to help your muscle growth...stick to Amino acids, creatine and LongJax (sold at Vitamine Shoppe)...LongJax does wonders...(in more ways than one and it is completely legal)

So you are going to be a buffed up sales person at Tower Records? BTW, how did your first day at work go?

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 18
will topical steroids also cause blimpiness? i have mild eczema, but it still makes me self-conscious. hmm...slightly plump, or rashy? hard decision. i take protein, glutamine, and other amino acids...and sometimes creatine. what's in LongJax?

my first day was pretty damn boring. "hi, did you find everything alright?" What? i have to say that when someone comes to the register. i HATE saying that. if they didn't find everything alright they wouldn't be at the register with cds in their hand ready to buy now would they? so dumb. for 8 hours of work i get two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. slavery. in the navy we took breaks every hour and had two-hour lunches. i do get a pretty good discount though; i pay 5% more than what tower pays. so i think it comes out to like 25-40% off for a regular cd. this discount applies to anything in the store. i also get a free rental account. i can rent like 4 movies at a time, but have to wait 3 weeks to get new releases.

oh yeah, is there a way to naturally increase the body's production of prednisone (or it's non-synthetic equivalent)? <---whatever it's called. i don't know the correct medical terminology.

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn
will topical steroids also cause blimpiness? i have mild eczema, but it still makes me self-conscious. hmm...slightly plump, or rashy?.....what's in LongJax?

my first day was pretty damn boring. "hi, did you find everything alright?" What? i have to say that when someone comes to the register. i HATE saying that. if they didn't find everything alright they wouldn't be at the register with cds in their hand ready to buy now would they? so dumb. for 8 hours of work i get two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. slavery.

You have to take A LOT of predisone to get blimpy. Your dosage should NOT affect you. LongJax has a natural testosterone booster...http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...UNE?id=VS-2249 (it's VERY good for your Ying Yang...but will also cause acne...etc.) Try it and see if you like it. Not cheap though.

Your job. Believe it or not, there are people who probably wanted the job and did not get it. You are in RETAIL. It is ALL about customer service. I was in retail and the number 1, 2 and 3 rules are "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS right". I was required to greet them with a "Hello" and say "Thank you for shopping with us", when they left. Trust me, if they are happy they will not tell anyone, but if they are for whatever reason UNHAPPY, they will tell 10 other people. If saying "Did you find everything okay?" is the worst of you problems, you should count yourself blessed.

There are people who clean 50 corporate bathrooms everyday. Collect trash all day. Sit in a toll booth and collect 25 cents for 8 hours. How about lab techs that look at stool samples all day. There are better jobs, but they are worse jobs. THE worst? No job. Look up, not down. The glass is ALWAYS half full. I would KILL for the discount you get on your merchandise. Just be ready to deal with 'best friends' during Christmas, looking for favors. You WILL be very popular.

This is NOT the US armed forces. Would you rather be in Iraq now? I didn't think so. Your jobs is not considered one of the 3 D's- Dirty, Dangerous, Difficult. So, it is NO slavery. My sitting in front of a computer all day, looking at thousands of numbers...that is slavery. Making cold calls all days is slavery...LOL. I sometimes literally feel like I am adding up every single freakin' phone number in a phone book all days long. (yours truly is an accountant, do you want MY job?, didn't think so either)

Lastly, when you go to the Vitamin Store (or any natural supplement store), look for homeopathic medicine for eczema and other cures.
http://www.hpathy.com/

Here are links to your questions about Prednisone:
http://www.framarhealth.com/shop/hea...tentID=1346008
http://www.yafferuden.com/html/prednisone.html
http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum2/1917.html

Good luck! and TRY to have fun at your job!

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 18
My wife took this when she had kidney stones. Now she is a beefcake, built like a freakin sherman tank. Helga happy...
biggrin.gif
Just kiddin, she is m hazingly not fat or overly muscly...
Slade

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 18
You will not notice anything negative, from the experience. Just too small a dose to worry about.

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 18
Don't take that stuff for too long, though. I was on it for 10 days once (the longest I've ever been on it) and towards the end of that time I felt a little uptight and then when I finished, I felt really relaxed, like gelatin for a couple days. It was interesting. Then again, it's a powerful steroid... what do you expect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back