Predisposement.
Jan 25, 2005 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
There might be a thread on this already, but I didn't know how to search for it, so I didn't even try. I often wonder how often reviews and opinions are predisposed, and affected by what others think. I started my headphone carreer with a set of HD 580's. I listen to lots of different music, but I'm a big Metallica fan. From the start I decided that eventually I would need some SR225's, because the HD 580's just don't do Metallica well enough. As chance may have it I got those Grados, and have been listening to Metallica for like 20 hours straight. They are fantastic, and do everything that the HD 580's cant do with metal (Please don't dispute this interpretation, I know many people think the 580's do rock well, but that isn't the point of the thread). I'm wondering, would I have not liked the 580's for metal if people hadn't told me that would be the case.

I see some extremely detailed reviews on this site, and when people say that one set of cans has "slightly tighter bass, yet more recessed highs" than another, are they saying this because they heard it, or because that's the general consensus. I think if people tell us what we are supposed to hear we can trick ourselves into hearing it, and actually believe that is the case, even if perhaps we don't hear it.

Mark

PS I am by no means pointing fingers, and this is a purely a discussion topic, NOT an accusatory one.

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't really think I have a predisposition towards my perception of sound when trying out equipment because I generally don't believe the vast majority of what people post.

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm a math major, and I wrote that post half asleep, thanks for the catch.

Mark

PS By the way I got a 1490 on my SATs with a 690 on the verbal, so I promise the standards here aren't too low.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 7
I only comment on cans I have heard first hand...

I NEVER believe what others say, I listen first and stick with what my ears tell me. Everyone thinks the $65 e2cs are flawed with their lack of treble. I dont see it severe enough to classify it as a flaw, more a signature. Now, If you pay over $100 for them then yes IMHO its a flaw that shouldnt be present with a $100+ canalphone.

**edit**
edited for spelling errors

Garrett

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I agree with Natsuiro. Generally speaking, I take what 99% of people say on head-fi with a bag of salt.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
I'm a math major, and I wrote that post half asleep, thanks for the catch.

Mark

PS By the way I got a 1490 on my SATs with a 690 on the verbal, so I promise the standards here aren't too low.

its ok
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, you just have to be careful what you believe when it comes to opinions, and quality of sound is objective... looking for consistent feelings on certain things can be somewhat helpful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back