Predicament Choosing New Headphones!!! <$150, Closed or Open?
May 22, 2010 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jube

Head-Fier
I know there's tons of threads here about best headphones for <$150 or <$125 or whatever, many of which I've read. I just wanted to elaborate on them a little bit... I'm going to be using these in college while studying in my room (with 1 roommate). I THINK I'm going to want closed in case my roommate or neighbors are being loud in the room and I need to drown it out (plus I don't want audio leakage to bother him)... but this makes me sad because I really wanted to get some Grados, just because I've heard so many good things about them and they look real sweet. Right now I own HD600's and some cheaper sennheisers, so I don't want any more Sennheisers, just because I want to diversify my headphone collection. I hear Grado's generally have better sound but are less comfortable than Sennheisers.

I read this thread very carefully and the OP went with some ATH-M50's. Would this be a good choice for me? I guess my criteria is:

1. Sound quality, preferred to have slightly heavier bass, but I'm not willing to sacrifice clarity and quality (I'd rather have neutral bass than heavy muddy bass). I mostly listen to house, punk/ska, hip hop, and occasionally classical (studying music).
2. Comfort, going to be wearing these for long periods of time
3. Looks? Not super critical, but I like the look of AKG's and Grados. Just know that portability isn't important (I use earbuds on the go).
4. Price. I would like 130 and less, but I'm willing to push it up to 150, no higher
5. NO AMP. Very important. I want to be able to use these with my iPhone without an amp.

What do you guys think of the ATH-M50, AKG-240 MKII, Shure SRH840? I heard the SRH840's may need an amp tho =\

May 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 4
I heard the Audio-Technica M50 is a good choice for what you're looking for. The Shure SRH840 is also a top contender within closed headphones at the price range.

The downside would be that neither have the slick classic look.

May 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 4
well u can try the koss porta pro which cost much less.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
I know there's tons of threads here about best headphones for <$150 or <$125 or whatever, many of which I've read. I just wanted to elaborate on them a little bit... I'm going to be using these in college while studying in my room (with 1 roommate). I THINK I'm going to want closed in case my roommate or neighbors are being loud in the room and I need to drown it out (plus I don't want audio leakage to bother him)... but this makes me sad because I really wanted to get some Grados, just because I've heard so many good things about them and they look real sweet. Right now I own HD600's and some cheaper sennheisers, so I don't want any more Sennheisers, just because I want to diversify my headphone collection. I hear Grado's generally have better sound but are less comfortable than Sennheisers.

I read this thread very carefully and the OP went with some ATH-M50's. Would this be a good choice for me? I guess my criteria is:

1. Sound quality, preferred to have slightly heavier bass, but I'm not willing to sacrifice clarity and quality (I'd rather have neutral bass than heavy muddy bass). I mostly listen to house, punk/ska, hip hop, and occasionally classical (studying music).
2. Comfort, going to be wearing these for long periods of time
3. Looks? Not super critical, but I like the look of AKG's and Grados. Just know that portability isn't important (I use earbuds on the go).
4. Price. I would like 130 and less, but I'm willing to push it up to 150, no higher
5. NO AMP. Very important. I want to be able to use these with my iPhone without an amp.

What do you guys think of the ATH-M50, AKG-240 MKII, Shure SRH840? I heard the SRH840's may need an amp tho =\

May 23, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 4
Or you could just buy some Grados and cup your hands over them when you need isolation :wink: (totally kidding)

Yeah, the M50 or Shure SRH440/840 would be a good choice considering your criteria :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back