Predator + Shure SE530 + Iaudio A3
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Predator and the SE420s. I like the pairing quite a bit. I really have enjoyed the Predator, its a great DAC/Amp option. One of the main reasons to select the Predator is because of the USB DAC. If I was looking for a portable amp for IEMs and did not need the USB DAC, I would look at the Tomahawk or something similar.

I thought Tomahawk and Predator isn't really different in term of their size.. where did you get the spec? I couldn't find it in Ray Samuel's website..

BTW, does anybody know how "clear" chassis Predator looks like?
I emailed Ray today and he said he's out of stock of the black chassis, the only thing left is the 'clear' chassis.

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #17 of 34
Here's a few pictures of the Predator with the D2, hopefully it'll be a better reference for you.

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #18 of 34
The SE530 has sweet synergy with Cowon players. Do you need an amp for the Shure? No. But it does take SQ to the next level and with the Predator you have a nice DAP to circumvent a sound card on your computer. RSA products seem to add a bit of warmth to the sound from the Cowons.

So, you're fine the way you are, and as they say, "ignorance is bliss" meaning you won't miss what you haven't heard.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #19 of 34
In terms of being portable, the Predator is a tiny little thing. That is prob my one complaint. My finger has a hard time reaching the little power toggle. My original point was that paying for a USB Dac inside the amp may not be the best fiscal decision. Considering that extra $200 for the diff between a good portable amp and the AMP/DAC Predator could easily snag another pair of headphones. Head-Fi is free, but the upgrade disorder that accompanies it is quite expensive.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 34
I'm thinking of getting tomahawk

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #21 of 34
should i go with an iqube or a predator to power my se530s?

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 34
Predator would be the ideal choice, as you'll appreciate the power and sound quality, even if you move up to power-demanding cans (you probably won't want to upgrade for awhile with this). The 56 hour battery life doesn't hurt either, along with its extremely small size.

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #23 of 34
Just ordered a Predator.. I hope it'll be a wise investment.. :p

Robo, how do you like your predator out of the box compared with your burned in T-hawk?

EDIT: I heard that you need to do both the DAC and headphone line burn in separately, can somebody please confirm this for me?

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should i go with an iqube or a predator to power my se530s?

I was thinking of buying an iQube too instead of predator, but but the size really turns me off, so yeah..
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a Predator.. I hope it'll be a wise investment.. :p

Robo, how do you like your predator out of the box compared with your burned in T-hawk?

EDIT: I heard that you need to do both the DAC and headphone line burn in separately, can somebody please confirm this for me?

Well, for the first 10-15 hours or so, the Predator seemed a little thinner than my 400 hour Tomahawk. However, after that, I started noticing areas of detail and definition that I had not heard before with my Tomahawk. The bass and mids really came alive, and had that 'twinkle' that I experienced much later with the Tomahawk. I'm now at about 25 hours or so, and wow, I'm pretty much ready to sell my Tomahawk, cause that's how good it's sounding. All in all, it's a wonderful amp, the battery is incredibly strong, and it was worth every penny. That, and it's easily concealed in my casual blazer's inner pocket, without creating unneeded bulk or weight.

As for your second question, I'm not quite sure on that, so you may want to ask Ray Samuels' himself (he's on this forum, under his own name).

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #26 of 34
By most accounts, including my own, the Predator takes quite awhile to burn-in. I think Jamato described it best, something about a large cap with so little current flowing through it takes some time to get settled in. Ive read somewhere in the 1000hr+ mark for it to completely settle down. My experience was that the Predator was not the best right out of the box but made a nice turn around 250hrs of burn-in. I lost track of "burn-in" around 300 hours. It keeps getting smoother and more extended at both ends as time progresses. The DAC also requires a little burn-in time too. The easiest way was to hookup it up through USB and just let it roll anytime I wasn't listening to it.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......... The easiest way was to hookup it up through USB and just let it roll anytime I wasn't listening to it.

Doing that, you will break-in both sectiuons at the same time.
Ray Samuels

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 34
No USB, congrats on your purchase, be prepared for some serious burn in time, mine sounds better and better each day. I am burning it in constantly while I am not listening to it. As an amp it is better IMO than the tomahawk, the voyager and all the Xins I own/owned.

Edit: It has some serious battery time, it says 50 hours but mine lasts longer. Also it has a lifetime warranty, is wonderfully constructed and is very small, only slightly bigger than the Tomahawk; what more could you want!

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No USB, congrats on your purchase, be prepared for some serious burn in time, mine sounds better and better each day. I am burning it in constantly while I am not listening to it. As an amp it is better IMO than the tomahawk, the voyager and all the Xins I own/owned.

Edit: It has some serious battery time, it says 50 hours but mine lasts longer. Also it has a lifetime warranty, is wonderfully constructed and is very small, only slightly bigger than the Tomahawk; what more could you want!

Yeah, I really hope it justifies the $500 I spent for this tiny little thing..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back