Predator / Pico good with ATH-W1000?
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

moonsurf

100+ Head-Fier
I was initially thinking about DV332 or upcoming DV3322 for Audio-Techinica W1000. After a little research and feedback, I concluded that DV332 is good for high impedience phones, not a good match for AT. Have anyone heard either Predator or Pico with W1000 and can commend on their synergy? Since my budget is $500 and they are one of the most talked portable amps, I might go portable if the feedback on either of these are good. Thank you in advance!

I also have MS-1, which is good by itself un-amped, however, if anyone heard it with either Predator or Pico, I would appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I received my Predator yesterday. It is still very early, but I like what I'm with hearing with the Predator+W1000. I will try and post some more details as I spend more time with it. It is an immediate improvement over my stock D1 and I would dare say that the DAC/AMP combo riveled my MusicHall 25.2 plus mid tier ($200-300) home based amps. I have not had a chance to sport my SE420s with the Predator but I also look forward to that. The Predator seems to add a sense of immediacy to the W1000 and enhance their speed and impact. The bottom end seems fuller as well. This is with the Predator set to Low Gain.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, Dash!
Congrat on you Predator and that you're enjoying it! Your comment is what I was look to hear. I've never had a portable amp yet. Since W1000 not being power hungry, I am seriously considering either Predator or Pico now. I will look forward to hear more from you on how Predator synergizes with W1000 after burn-up.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Pico or the Predator. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. I chose the Predator because of a wonderful experience with RSA when I bought my Hornet.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks Guys!!
I still wonder if the Pico will be better or Predator will be better. For Pico, I've read many reviews that its DAC is superior so is its mid. However, Pico seems to have a little trouble adjusting volume with low inpedience phones. Predator seems to have better bass and has three gain settings which seems be good. I am leaning more to Predator a little. Anyway, thanks for you valuable inputs!!

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Dash,

I got one more question for you. How do you compare your predator to your hornet. I don't think I will use DAC function of it much. Just comparing its amp, is predator better than hornet? Is SQ difference justify the increase in price btw those two. Again, I don't really need a DAC. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 8
I do not own the Hornet anymore. Its hard for me to compare the two because I have only used the Predator through USB. I like the Predator alot. I have never heard the Pico. Based on what I have read you cannot go wrong with either. One thing to consider, the Pico is available without the DAC option. But the DAC for $200 is more than worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back