Predator Loaner Program and My Initial Review of the Amp
Jul 8, 2008 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

spraggih

Headphoneus Supremus
Does such a thing exist?

I want to try out the Predator with my UE11s given all of the posts here on synergy. But I do not want to *bother* Mr. Samuels with a purchase only to find "ehh it's good but not worth my $475" and then return it. Or have someone say "it's needs more burn in time so you need to keep it a little longer."

There aren't many (if?) via resell plus I am a little tired of buying, selling things at this moment. I think the Eastern US heat is affecting my energy levels
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody want to loan a brother a dime for a cup of coffee?

--------------
A head-fier lent me an amp!! Here are my thoughts....
--------------

Thanks for a fine head-fier who will remain nameless (because some folks do not want people to know their acts of charity). If he is OK with me mentioning his name I would love to do so because what he did was awesome!

I have had the Predator for just a little over 24 hours. It was burnt in for some hours, how many I do not know. My executive summary is:

1. Wow, really nice. (At $300 this is a steal-- assuming this would be the price for someone not needing a DAC).
  2. Mates VERY well with the UE11s!!
  3. Punchy, lively, fun sounding!!!
  4. At the beginning of each song it sets mu expectations so high.
  1. But does not seem to follow through after setting my expectations so high.
    frown.gif

(Well the Predator starts out each song with great power, impact [perhaps greater than other amps] but then it levels off and never takes another leap—even though I am convinced the music calls for it—and other amps have done it.)
  2. A bit of grain, digital sound. (Not a big deal though at this price point).
  3. Compresses the already small UE11 soundstage.

More to come soon.

Listened through:
Chord DAC64 --> Predator --> UE11s
Chord DAC64 --> Predator --> W11JPNs

* Not sure if there is such a thing as DAC, amp synergy but if there is then the Chord and the Predator do not synergize.

iTouch --> Predator --> UE11s.

* this approach was manifold better.

As far as genres go I would explain them as light rock, jazz, R&B, soul, one or two hip-hop (to test the bass, depth of punch)
</div>

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 32
Good luck dude!!
I wont be parting with mine anytime soon as it just gets better and better!
I'm in UK so wouldn't be worth the hassle sending it back and forth anyway especially as i was lucky to get it through customs charge free in the first place!!
Take the plunge and buy it I promise you it will be more than worth it!
Or if dont want the DAC i can reccomend the I-qube wholeheartedly!
Good luck again sourcing a loan one if that is the path you dare to tread!

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 32
One of the fine head-fiers here saw my thread and is lending me their Predator for review.

Now the fun starts---

a) devoting ample time to listening to the music through the amp

b) getting my hands on a good LOD -- I have one but I do not believe it is the best-- want nothing to affect the sound quality

c) if I like it-- then getting one of my own-- o' no
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 32
you ar lucky.
Me i want to try a raptor.
So, if someone have one ...
it's welcome.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does such a thing exist?

I want to try out the Predator with my UE11s given all of the posts here on synergy. But I do not want to *bother* Mr. Samuels with a purchase only to find "ehh it's good but not worth my $475" and then return it. Or have someone say "it's needs more burn in time so you need to keep it a little longer."

There aren't many (if?) via resell plus I am a little tired of buying, selling things at this moment. I think the Eastern US heat is affecting my energy levels
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody want to loan a brother a dime for a cup of coffee?

I was just emailing Ray and asked which would be better with UE-11's a Predator or a Hornet. I explained that I didn't require a Dac. He recommended the Hornet M. From what I've read everyone is quite impressed with the Predator/UE-11 combo. I wonder what's up with this development??

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 32
Maybe because the Hornet is less money. I assume they are different sounding but I haven't heard to Hornet.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 32
I think, Ray purpose you the best disponible adapted product without dac.
Maybe if you wait more time, next purpose could be an new SR71.
I own Hornet (non M) and predator and they aven't the same sound.
Hornet is more Tube sound and smooth, predator more punchy and detail.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 32
moved this post to the top....

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 32
Spraggih,
you gotta let us know what the Predator sounds like with those awesome buds, dude.
Maybe try a couple of other DAP's too.
Thanx,
PS, I'll let you borrow mine (@1000+hrs) if you wanna do a full blown rev.
Scott

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck dude!!
I wont be parting with mine anytime soon as it just gets better and better!

What he said
tongue.gif

This thing just keeps getting better and better..... I didn't think such a little box can do that o_O

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 32
smily_headphones1.gif

I concur it is a great amp. My biggest issue right now-- is price point given I have no need for a DAC. Even if it is $50 DAC in there that's $50 taken away from upgrading the amp components.

Question? You have a R10 on the way? Wow!!!!!!
</div>

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 32
I agree with digger945! If you don't mind using 2x 9V in an amp without a recharging circuit, the SR-71A will be an excellent choice for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back