predator distortion at high gain?
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys, i recently received my predator. before purchase i'd read that there was supposed to be no perceived difference in sound quality between the different gain levels.

however, i was testing it last night, and at high gain, max amp volume, low volume on speakers, i'm hearing ALOT of distortion. do note that the actual volume playing out of the speakers isn't loud at all, since i've set the speaker volume to very low. (same distortion if i turn up the speaker volume though)

i get the same distortion when i put it to medium gain, and turn up the speaker volume to get the same actual output volume, but it's not as bad. at low gain there isn't distortion.

i've tried with a computer as source, and my iphone + qables LOD as source. is this supposed to be the case?? or is this some fault with the dac/amp?

i get alot less distortion if i turn down the amp volume and turn up the speaker volume.

thanks for any help in advance!

edit: this thing's already got 500 hours on it
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Do you have your hundreds of hours of burn in on it yet? I would guess that most RSA fan boys will tell you to let it burn in for 500 hours, or up to 1,000 hours and then it will shine. Right guys?

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have your hundreds of hours of burn in on it yet? I would guess that most RSA fan boys will tell you to let it burn in for 500 hours, or up to 1,000 hours and then it will shine. Right guys?

well it's 2nd hand. so it's already got 500hours on it. i did a search and found some info on insufficient voltage on the predator or something.. but i don't really get it.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 11
I am not clear on what you are trying to do with it. Are you using it for a preamp or for headphones?

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 11
in most amps including RSA ..the Gain switch is for Impedance matching.

if u use high gain for low impedance devices then u ll get distortion after certain volume.

i dont think u need high gain if u r using speakers or low impedance headphones.

as simple as that.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in most amps including RSA ..the Gain switch is for Impedance matching.

if u use high gain for low impedance devices then u ll get distortion after certain volume.

i dont think u need high gain if u r using speakers or low impedance headphones.

as simple as that.

so by rule of thumb i should use as low gain as i can, and speakers on max volume?

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not clear on what you are trying to do with it. Are you using it for a preamp or for headphones?

i was using it for speakers. just playing around with it really. like i always do with new toys
wink.gif
i set the speakers to low volume, amp to high gain and high volume. not sure what that is.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, i recently received my predator. before purchase i'd read that there was supposed to be no perceived difference in sound quality between the different gain levels.

however, i was testing it last night, and at high gain, max amp volume, low volume on speakers, i'm hearing ALOT of distortion. do note that the actual volume playing out of the speakers isn't loud at all, since i've set the speaker volume to very low. (same distortion if i turn up the speaker volume though)

i get the same distortion when i put it to medium gain, and turn up the speaker volume to get the same actual output volume, but it's not as bad. at low gain there isn't distortion.

i've tried with a computer as source, and my iphone + qables LOD as source. is this supposed to be the case?? or is this some fault with the dac/amp?

i get alot less distortion if i turn down the amp volume and turn up the speaker volume.

thanks for any help in advance!

edit: this thing's already got 500 hours on it
wink.gif

If your speakers have built in power amp & have a volume control you should put the level of your speakers to MAX.
The Predator now acts as a pre-amp this way you control the volume of the speakers from the Predator volume control. You can choose to be at any gain you wish on the Predator.
You are doing just the opposite.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your speakers have built in power amp & have a volume control you should put the level of your speakers to MAX.
The Predator now acts as a pre-amp this way you control the volume of the speakers from the Predator volume control. You can choose to be at any gain you wish on the Predator.
You are doing just the opposite.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

that was the explanation I needed! thanks ray!!
didn't know what pre-amp was at first
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Ray is superb when it comes to customer service. Remember that under rare circumstances you require to set the gain setting to high.

Cheers and enjoy the Predator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that was the explanation I needed! thanks ray!!
didn't know what pre-amp was at first
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back