Predator DAC Section?
Apr 15, 2008 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

100+ Head-Fier
Why isn't the DAC circuit information published about the RSA Predator like it is for the Headamp Pico? Does anyone know this information?

Having listened to both amps, I want to know at least some information about the underlying chips/circuits so I know what components cause me to like one over the other.

This will then help guide my future purchases, because I will know what stuff to look for in a DAC.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 54
The DAC doesn't make that much of a difference to me. It is the amp section that changes everything. I tried Pico as the DAC and connected it to the Predator for a 2nd amplification. Connecting to the predator changed the sound of the Pico a lot. But the Pico didn't change the sound of the Predator that much when using the latter as the DAC (more neutral). But eitherway, the end-sound was about the same to my ear. So I think it can't be the DACs that make that much of a difference between those two portable amp.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, the Pico is better both amp-wise and DAC-wise. But my predator has only 160hr now and I have just sold the Pico, which had way over 600hr of use.

having owned many high end amps and sources that used caps plenty bigger than the predator burn in is less a case of the cap forming and more a case of your brain coming to term with the amp.

Why sell the pico if it was better on both counts? I have heard both and thought the pico was a no brainer as it was significantly better than the predator. I felt that the pico gave you high resolution (for a portable) and placed little to no sonic imprint on the music great music sounded great and crap sounded like crap. The predator compressed the signal and muddied it up a bit so while it sounds punchy a everything I played through it had that stamp on it. While the dac is not a breakthrough it's the amp section that most likely holds back its performance.

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh...

just to be clear because I may be mistaken but this is a forum where we discuss audio products correct? I have an opinion about this product after hearing it and I stated that opinion. I was unaware it was verboten to do anything but gush about a product. So it is ok for you to pump the living snot out of this product and no one can voice a contradictory opinion without the condescending sigh or god forbid being called a 'hater'.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 54
Why did I sell my Pico? Because I am crazy and have a limited budget. I cannot affort buying a pair of RS-1 + a second Pico, knowing I just received my Predator. So I sold it, and it happens that I sold to someone that studies in the same school I work for, UCLA. This way I can buy a new Pico and compare the new one to the burnt in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did I sell my Pico? Because I am crazy and have a limited budget. I cannot affort buying a pair of RS-1 + a second Pico, knowing I just received my Predator. So I sold it, and it happens that I sold to someone that studies in the same school I work for, UCLA. This way I can buy a new Pico and compare the new one to the burnt in.
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah I've been there too much gear I want to hear and too little funds, if you like the rs1 keep you eye out for the older ones with no serial number they sell for about $600 and trounce the new versions.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just to be clear because I may be mistaken but this is a forum where we discuss audio products correct? I have an opinion about this product after hearing it and I stated that opinion. I was unaware it was verboten to do anything but gush about a product. So it is ok for you to pump the living snot out of this product and no one can voice a contradictory opinion without the condescending sigh or god forbid being called a 'hater'.

The "sigh..." was about the "burn-in isn't real can of worms " getting ready to take over the thread, not about your product opinions.

Everytime someone pops up and spouts off about how burn-in not real, and is mostly in your brain, well it almost kills the thread. I for one am insulted when I take measures to ensure that what I hear is real change, and not just getting used to the sound, and then some brainiac know it all presumes to know how we all must screw up the listening process with our feeble little minds.

It took every bit of self control to restrain myself to a little "sigh..." You on the other hand have no problem assuming the worst, which makes me wonder who has the bigger stick up their craw.

not_this_poop_again.jpg

PS: In my USB/DAC amp review, I gave the Pico a 9.7/10 and the Predator a 10/10, and said that the differences were too close to call a clear winner for many, and said that several times. So, I am not anti-Pico.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having owned many high end amps and sources that used caps plenty bigger than the predator burn in is less a case of the cap forming and more a case of your brain coming to term with the amp.

Why sell the pico if it was better on both counts? I have heard both and thought the pico was a no brainer as it was significantly better than the predator. I felt that the pico gave you high resolution (for a portable) and placed little to no sonic imprint on the music great music sounded great and crap sounded like crap. The predator compressed the signal and muddied it up a bit so while it sounds punchy a everything I played through it had that stamp on it. While the dac is not a breakthrough it's the amp section that most likely holds back its performance.

I definitely agree about the burn in issue (edit: disclaimer: the following applies just to the Pico, i have not experienced this with any other product, I am not trying to generalize); I can even notice myself coming to terms with the Pico's sound slowly, when obviously the electronics inside are not actually changing that fast. First I thought it was very bright and sibilant, but now I'm realizing that this is due to the recording itself and not the Pico.

One thing I can say is that I think the DAC on the Pico IS a breakthrough in terms of its technology, packing a USB receiver chip, ASRC and 24/192 DAC into such a small package I have never even heard of before. But I also think you are right that the opamp-based amp section of the Pico may hold back its performance.

For a portable solution, there is no apparent equal technology-wise (and possibly soundwise). I was hoping maybe we could find out a little bit about the technology inside the Predator, but it seems like the manufacturer is deliberately hiding that information, which is unfortunate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back